• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A Dopey Question

Dave Taylor

One for the rod builders perhaps?
I want to re-ring the top section of one of my barbel trotting rods before the 16th and have been sorting through all my old rod building bits and bods that have been tucked away for 20 odd years.
Ive found some Gibbs two pack rod wrap that I remember being a great improvement on the old style varnishes which seems to look ok.
Whereas I always use to brush dope onto the finished whippings prior to applying the old standard varnish I can't remember if it was necessary to seal them off when using the two pack.
I've had a look on a few sites for some pointers which seem a bit contradictory with some advising that dope or nail varnish is a requirement and some say the opposite. Any advice much appreciated.
building a rod

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5612-2016-05-24-10-23-14.jpg

DT;)

From my experience it depends on what whipping thread you are using . Some manufacturers claim that you do not need to put on a sealant / colour preserver before varnishing or applying rod wrap or whatever you use as they will not darken when varnish/coating is applied , these are usually marked NCP . I would suggest you use Symo colour preservant , nail varnish will be OK , or banana oil, these will to a large degree preserve the original colour and act as an effective base cover / sealant to the whipping . You can varnish /coat straight on to the whipping but the colour will darken significantly .I have no experience of using the rod wrap you name , it may well be after 20 years it might not be fit for purpose . Hope this helps

Dave,
if I were you I'd go to Hopkins & Holloway and get some new epoxy finish, the older stuff is prone to not setting uniformly...sometimes it will set far too quick, other times not at all....and they usually discolour.
As Mike says whippings will darken, so its worth doing a test sample before-hand

Andy

Thanks for the tips guys,..I was a little concerned if the Gibbs would still be ok so I will have a dummy run on a bankstick to check it out.;)

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5630-image.jpeg
The old rod wrap was still fine, and after putting the glasses on and reading the small print on the back, noted that you were quite right about the choice of whipping thread determining the use of a preservative :rolleyes:
It's all cured nicely but did notice that the fingers weren't so nimble and the eyesight not so sharp ,...must be on the slippery slope!
Took the opportunity to add an extra butt eye as suggested by our own Paul W. to aid casting with a pin.
Just need a barbel to put a bend in it now.
Cheers DT.

Good on ya mate, fishing is fishing. Carp can pull your string pretty well, so why not...until the proper fishing starts anyway, snigger.

Cheers, Dave

Shame on you Paul you traitor you:D:D:D:D, i am definately retired now, maybe we can meet up on a local river somewhere close to me and have enjoy a few hilarious happenings mate:)

Back