• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Main Line

Stephen Scaysbrook

Hello everone and please forgive me. I know this has been done countless times BUT.. I had lots of trouble last night with my main line getting wrapped around my isotope . I'me spooled up with 12lb Daiwa Sensor Clear. Can any one recomend a more supple line clear line so as its less springy. Once again Sorry and good luck to all for the season ahead.
Thanks
Scaz

I use GR60 clear in 12lb for most of barbel fishing, it has never let me down, perhaps not the supplest but it does everything I ask. I've using 12lb Pro-Clear for tench fishing this season, its more supple than GR60 but not as tough, but then it's 0.29mm diameter, whereas GR60 in 12lb is 0.34mm.

I know Stef Horak uses 16lb Pro-clear (0.34mm) for all his barbel fishing and he rates it very highly.

Hi Stephen,
All mono tends to be a bit springy espically when new on,did you try tightening the line by trapping it with your finger on the spool just before the end tackle hits the water same way the carp boys do to straighten the hook link to prevent tangles.Only other solution would be a braided main line.

Hope this helps

Really is a subjective topic. Having actually lost the odd isotope through wrap-rounds I sympathise Stephen
Personally, I've found the more supple the line the greater the chance of a foul up. I had far more problems when using braid mainline than mono, but maybe that's just me being cack-handed!
I tend to use GR60 most of the time coupled with the clip on isotope holders and touch wood,...no probs. That maybe because the silicon tube that attaches the night light is far more flexible than a rigid whipped on isotope.
Isoblobs are another option.
If you use detachable iso/ clips try adjusting the position up or down the rod tip a bit in relation to an eye,...it may make all the difference, otherwise touch leger! ;):)

Hi Stephen, used Sensor in the past myself without much trouble, and this year having a go with Sensor Hyper which seems a little bit better. Also, there was a thread very recently (still on page 1) talking about Korum Xpert which got good reviews and might be worth a read through.:)

Good Luck
Stephen

Used 10lb GR60 for some years now and it usually behaves itself. Set the isotope back from the tip ring 3 to 5 inches should see the wrap rounds diminish. You could also try using a Gardner spin doctor to take any twists out of the line. Graham

You can get loads of problems with line twist. I don't like diawa sensor as when it gets stretched you have loads of twist problems. I use berkley big game clear 1/4 spools about £10. There is a great video on the Drennan website on how to load line, like them i always soak my line for 24hrs before spooling a reel. Tight lines. Paul

I too have a...history with Sensor. I similarly gave up my previous go-to line, Maxima, cos if you breathed on that it coiled up like an angry cobra.

I haven't actually caught anything on it yet, but yesterday I was using Korum XPert (10lb on one, 8lb on the other) that I acquired quite out of the blue a few weeks ago. I think it's the first time I've EVER gone a whole day without a single tangle or twist, and I think a lot of that was down to the line alone, as my reels and tactics have not changed. It's reasonably priced too.

Thats a new one on me Robert. Would you give me more information please. I've also been looking at the Korum Xpert line and no one has anything bad to say about it..

I too have a...history with Sensor. I similarly gave up my previous go-to line, Maxima, cos if you breathed on that it coiled up like an angry cobra.

I haven't actually caught anything on it yet, but yesterday I was using Korum XPert (10lb on one, 8lb on the other) that I acquired quite out of the blue a few weeks ago. I think it's the first time I've EVER gone a whole day without a single tangle or twist, and I think a lot of that was down to the line alone, as my reels and tactics have not changed. It's reasonably priced too.

I spooled up with that line for opening night, after it was roundly recommended on another thread. I must say it behaved perfectly, limp, low diameter for given breaking strain, no coils, no tangles...and landed double figure barbel and carp. Love it.

Cheers, Dave.

As mentioned already, place your isotope next to the next ring down your rod. The problem stopped happening when I did that. I use 12lb Pro Clear but I don't think that'll have owt to do with it

One tip I learnt many years ago was how to put line on properly to the spool. Even some of my reliable lines were twisting and coiling for know reason compared to other times when it went on perfectly straight, even though I was loading exactly the same way.

What I do now and it is a a 2 man job is fill a bucket with slightly hot water and then add washing up liquid to it, slight stir so not to bubble it up. Put the spool of new line in the bucket and then thread the line back down a made up rod and reel and tie to spool. My friend would then dip a small towel in the bucket and wring out. He would then wrap the towel round the line a few feet from bucket and hold under slight tension so you can then reel it in without it being to loose.

I wouldn't put line on any other way now it s surprising how straight it makes your Line

My Son uses the 10LB. Korum Expert its a good line that behaves itself, its limpish great abrasion resistance and strong and a good price, reccomended to me by Dai Gribble i say no more....

My Son uses the 10LB. Korum Expert its a good line that behaves itself, its limpish great abrasion resistance and strong and a good price, reccomended to me by Dai Gribble i say no more....

I'll second that John, bought a spool of 8lb and found it very subtle and smooth, still using it after a year and does not seem to be any different.if anything it seems more subtle

There's a huge difference between Sensor black and clear versions. I won't buy clear again once it runs out as it's far too springy for my liking although it's never let me down fishing wise.

Back