• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wide gape or narrow gape

David Traynor

Hi, just wondering what people's preferences/experiences are of hook gapes, I've never used wide gape hooks, as I always think they will have more chance of snagging on things, I'd love to know any thoughts on this. Thanks Dave

I use a wide "ish" gape hook for barbel, Korda crank, for the exact reason you stated, they snag great in the barbels mouth!
Barbel often turn and run when the baits been taken and I think the wide gape works well.

I think the point is perhaps the most important factor, I'm beginning to really favour straight point hooks - I'm sure they pr1ick many more fish. I guess this has to the balanced against the fact that beaked points are much less likely to get blunted on gravel etc, but with a good eye lense and a hook sharpener then that's not as much of an issue.

Has it not crossed any ones mind that it's all a load of cobblers? A standard hook with a standard length shank is sized by the width of the gape. So for instance, if you shorten the shank of a size 6 hook, at one time it would have been called a short shank size 6, because it now has the gape of a 6, but the shank length of an 8. Now they call it a wide gape size 8 :p. Think about it, it IS a fact. It is just a marketing ploy. A few years back, they created a new 'must have' item, just by changing the name. Makes I laugh :D

Cheers, Dave.

The late great Dick Walker made quite a study of hooks and the best proportions for them.
It basically boiled down to the narrower the gape and the longer the shank the less force necessary to drive them home with deeper penetration, the wider the gape and the shorter the shank the more force necessary to drive them home with shallower penetration.
Then of course there's the matter of sizes, shank length, eye orientation, wire gauge, point/barb design, knots, etc. etc.
All hooks are a compromise of the above factors, so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

For years I have used Drennan Continental boilie hooks and never had a problem with them . Has it put more fish on the bank ? Have they put less fish on the bank ? That is the question I don't have a answer to ? All I know is that I cant see any reason to change and stop using them . I suppose it comes down to confidence with what you are using ?

Back