• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bankside behaviour

I had a walk along various parts of the Trent last Friday afternoon, I have to say the behaviour of some anglers was disgusting. Noisy and rowdy more like being at a festival, brightly coloured beach windbreaks up, even a hammock in one guys swim. At Collingam a guy chopping wood up with a chainsaw, 'anglers' asleep in bivvies with 3 rods cast out ..... oh dear.

Only been once to the Trent this term and I must admit what I saw too really got under my skin. Under a certain Trent bridge, 2 anglers had 3 rods out each. They also had a child's rod rod rigged for stick float fishing, which they were using to catch live bait for predators. They had 2 live roach and a dead one in a bucket. They were camping not fishing, why, because the 3 bites they had overnight resulted in 2 lost fish to snags and one being broken in the rest. "It was really quite funny". This halfwit said to me. On top of that was the smell of weed coming from them. As I looked into the bivvy one said "oh that's the missus she's stoned from last night". Such a shame. Another angler was fishing with way below the standard of tackle used for tackling this big river. He'd already lost one barbel and llost 3 feeder Rigs plus hairigged bait to snagged. Some times its not the anglers? But I also put the blame on the respective clubs by having an apathetic policy for individuals like this and being more bothered about money.

Shocking, I never saw the big deal with Collingham, people camped out there for days at a time with all and sundrie bought to the bank. I much prefer an hour in a swim and move on then repeat.

Thats the problem with the fabled Collingham weir, its easy to smash PB's, get big doubles and multiple catches, ergo it attracts every numpty and as the club can make huge sums they will, sad but true, ultimately changes to bank side behaviour have to come from the clubs and bailiffs excluding those who behave this way, inspect kit and if necessary throw people off the stretch.

Ultimately yes the club's and bailiff are in the wrong, just like the guy on here who has posted about the Loddon and newbies fishing 3 rods with bivvies.
Other members have failed to inform new members about the rules.
I'm pretty sure though clubs send out rules etc on joining. Any decent club would be mad not to.

I think with regard to Collingham its a) a day ticket and b) an absolute money spinner for the club, its also hardly policed so everyone can do pretty much as they please unfortunately....

Back