• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line for trotting

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, one of my aims this season is to get a barbel on the float - and from the Ouse!
So once you've stopped laughing at the madness of it can you recommend a reel line for the pin that would be good for trotting in fairly deep but pacey swims?

I have always been a fan of maxima for waggler fishing but guessing the sinking nature will not be good on the river?

And also while on the subject of Maxima...has anyone used this in the reddish brown colour for hooklinks, always worked well for Tench for myself but not sure of the colour in clear water for Barbel
Any ideas welcome
Thanks

I started doing this a season or so back, I'm trying Drennan Floatfish this season, to be honest when you're learning and especially if you go for the full centre-pin method just casting and accuracy takes a lot of time.

Its a lovely way to fish though, real purist method, even better when you get waders on and go walking into the river with a rod and a bait much just cracking on...

Agreed Jon, Silstar,...tried and tested.:)

Loads of stuff in the archives on here for trotting Alan.. Keith Speer and much more..

All suggestions so far good. I would echo the Reflo powerline, but as the mainline. Superb stuff.

Bayer Perlon is also particularly suited to float fishing on the 'pin.

i read somewhere (maybe on here) that bayer perlon and drennan floatfish are the same mono.

i've used them both and i can't see any difference, but i'm not the best stick fisherman. they do fine for me, though

Thanks for the replies...lots of options to ponder
Will have a play over coming weeks and report back

Personally when float fishing for Barbel I fish straight through with only olivettes on the line. The olivette held by a guru grip stop. I try to make my rig as strong as possible. Back to line I have tried braid and for me it catches the wind far too readily for me. However it is suited to some anglers I know who fish smaller rivers than me. Up until last year I had used Ultimate power plus in 8lb, I had well over a hundred Barbel on the float using it and was quite happy with it. I think it was last year I moved onto Matchteam line after seeing some great reviews on it on this forum. It's ridiculously thin, supple and keeps its properties even when catching multiples of Barbel.

There was no better exponent of catching BIG Barbel on the float than the great Keith Speer.

You will find some very good articles on BFW from him but the line that Keith recommended was Preston Reflo Power, which I have used ever since and have found no reason to disagree with the great man.

Preston Reflow Power 7.15lb (I think) could land anything on balanced tackle, as proven by Keith.

Back