• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Meat - GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Steve Lewis

I don't know if it's me, or if the stuff really has changed in the nearly 20 years since it was last my go-to bait for barbel and chub, but I've had a devil's time trying to keep the stuff on the chuffing hook. I had Plumrose, Pek, Tesco own and even some fishing specific bait (Bait Tech Polony - it was on sale in my local), and all of them were next to useless - crumbling apart, splitting at the point where the hook went in, flying off even on gentle under-arm casts. The only way it seemed to stay on was if I tore (as opposed to cut) two thin but large pieces and had one piece half on the line and half on the top of the hook and the other piece underneath, or if I used a big (6+) hook, but I would have preferred to use a single small piece on a smaller hook this early in the season.

So - is it me? Or has the noble meat changed?

What do you other meat users do?

ive found the best way is to remove the hooklink first then use a baiting needle to mount the bait on the hooklink

if yo are getting a cheese wire effect , then slide a piece of tubing abov the hook

I used plumrose last night, only the odd fly-off, size 8 pushed through a chunk, turn hook quarter of a turn, little stork of grass in bend of hook. More often than not, it was still on when I wound in. (casting 20yds / feeder)

Stuart - good tip, thanks. Not thought of tubing before.

Robert - yeah, that does work fine with larger pieces, but I was finding it difficult with a small piece. Perhaps it is me and I just need to get the meat mojo back.

Mark - my local does sell that, so I might give it a shot next time.

Bait screw.

Works perfectly if you are hair rigging.

Tie you hair.

Slip on screw in various sizes. Add meat..small or mega..

Look at meat coils on ebay or bfw shop

It's all a matter of opinion I suppose, I like the Fox 'V' stops in the big size for big meat. I find also just threading the meat via a loop on the hook length is easier, just slide it down on your No2.

I also find Back Pepper in Spam is harder and stays on better, Barbel seem to like it too.

Smaller cubes I hair rig with small 'V' stops.

But what is my real problem with meat in the summer, is avoiding the Eels, any advice on that...anyone?:rolleyes:

Heh - with how difficult it was on the Bristol Avon the other day, I would have welcomed an eel!

(no tips for avoiding those - sorry)

Heh - with how difficult it was on the Bristol Avon the other day, I would have welcomed an eel!

(no tips for avoiding those - sorry)

The WA and Severn are paved with the things Steve, and now we have thier big brothers. Remember last summer a 94lb Cat was caught just upstream from where I was fishing. I do believe they should not be returned, but that would be a dilemma for me if I did manage to catch one.

Tricky one, isn't it. On the one hand they aren't native and are seen as a "problem species", on the other there are entire river systems that are premium fisheries thanks to accidental/illegal stocking, purposeful introduction of non-native species, and escapees from stillwaters and fish farms during flooding.

Having said all that, there aren't any cats anywhere near me, lake or river, so from my point of view it's a curious desire as opposed to potential problem.

Cut the meat into slices, not cubes. Bait up with several slices. More flavour is released this way and also if you loose one or two slices you still have something on the hook.

Stephen

Cut a tin into slices (but not cubes) and place all slices together in a big oblong then leave to air dry for a day- you will then get a nice skin on one side that helps keep it on the hook.
Large sizes when rolling meat I have no problem but the multiple meat baits is also a good tip if feeder fishing with them

Back