• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Aaaasrrrgghhhhhhh !!!! Broken my favourite rod!!!

Chris Cheshire

Unloading my kit from the car, I managed to get my braid caught around something and have now snapped the top 6 inches of my beautiful torrix....

I'm a bit gutted to put it mildly

It's a lovely clean break, does anyone know if this can be repaired? If so can anyone suggest someone who would do a nice job??

Crying into my coffee right now...

Chris

Bought two new rods from Mark for this season, quality and finish is exemplary, not sure if he does repairs on others rods, he's based in Hampshire.

Also used Chas (Burns) to put some Fuji reel seats and new cork onto some second hand Harrison and Drennan Mk1 Tench rods, again beautiful and top quality workmanship, he's based on the outskirts of York.

Hope that helps

Gutted mate. My favourite rod is on the way out. If u can't fix it just hacksaw down to the next eye and use it as a shorter rod. Not ideal but should still be usable

Not sure if our Bob is still building rods but is easy enough to get a new top section,any repair will alter the action of the rod and if you are like me you would want it to be spot on.

Shame and good luck

Chris, why not ask the supplier who sold you the rod if he can get you another top explaining why you need it, the just fit a new top ring and have a more powerful alternative to your new top.

Another option is to convert to a swing tip section, I did it with one of my rods when I did the same. It's a excellent way of fishing stillwaters, better for bites than a quiver tip. Bits are cheap to do it.

Seymo Swing tip Rubbers - Seymo - Rod Tip Rings

Personally I would not repair the section as it will probably snap again....sods law when you have a fish of a life time on. Really the only option is a new section.

It's a bummer Chris I feel for you. You could always make a Donkey Top quiver section, John Wilson style..you might have to trim back a bit further and slip a white tip through the section, glue and whip. Bankside do repairs if you don't fancy doing it.
But I agree I would want a new section, perhaps grovelling to Bob might help?:rolleyes:

A number of options are feasible:
1. Replacement tip - what length and test curve? A rod builder should be able to get one and fit correctly.
2. Cut to next ring and put a tip on. You can add a screw in type ring for quiver or swing tip.
3. Cut rod back and splice in quiver tip section, whip tip, donkey top or other section. This would be fixed and glued and made at a suitable position. Reinforce the splice area.
4. As in 3 above but ream internal diameter for plug in quiver tip or 'special' tip section.

I'm taking a break from rods at the moment but may be back at it in the future. Still have lots of blank stocks.

All the best,
Bob

Another option is to convert to a swing tip section, I did it with one of my rods when I did the same. It's a excellent way of fishing stillwaters, better for bites than a quiver tip. Bits are cheap to do it.

Seymo Swing tip Rubbers - Seymo - Rod Tip Rings

Personally I would not repair the section as it will probably snap again....sods law when you have a fish of a life time on. Really the only option is a new section.

Swing tips, blimey that takes me back, OK on gravel pits for Tench, used to do that, but casting any distance, forget it. Why don't you think a quiver would be the better option? It would make a good sensitive summer rod I would think,

Swing tips, blimey that takes me back, OK on gravel pits for Tench, used to do that, but casting any distance, forget it. Why don't you think a quiver would be the better option? It would make a good sensitive summer rod I would think,

Most of my personal rods have two tips - one for more sensitive work i.e. with plug in quivers and the other with a plain tip.
You could always save your busted tip and have it converted and buy a replacement - resulting in a twin tip rod. This may make the 'pain' more bearable and give you a more versatile rod.

As Neil says, swing tips can be a bit tangle prone under certain circumstances.

Certainly a knack to swing tip casting, I lived in Ireland for many years and learnt off some excellent anglers how to fish them. I wouldn't use a flexible rubber it would be the stiff type which could be changed for different conditions. Casting...... swing the bomb/feeder to the side bring back behind you and cast all in one motion. Never cast from a stationary position like you do normally. I presume Chris would have quiver tip rods so this is a cost of efficient option of giving you a different rod should he be bream/tench fishing on still waters. Repairing poles with carbon cloth I would say is acceptable but on rods definitely not.....if it was a £30 quid rod and you weren't so serious about your fishing fair enough do a cheap repair, if it breaks again bin it.

Certainly a knack to swing tip casting, I lived in Ireland for many years and learnt off some excellent anglers how to fish them. I wouldn't use a flexible rubber it would be the stiff type which could be changed for different conditions. Casting...... swing the bomb/feeder to the side bring back behind you and cast all in one motion. Never cast from a stationary position like you do normally. I presume Chris would have quiver tip rods so this is a cost of efficient option of giving you a different rod should he be bream/tench fishing on still waters. Repairing poles with carbon cloth I would say is acceptable but on rods definitely not.....if it was a £30 quid rod and you weren't so serious about your fishing fair enough do a cheap repair, if it breaks again bin it.

I know what you mean about casting, sort of a stepped up Wallace:) I used the swing tip for fishing the shelf at Bradley's South Cerney, and was good, but don't think I could go back to that method. Besides I only had one rod back then so had to innovate.
I was thinking of pushing a quiver blank through the top section, cut to form a snug fit, glue and whip, some bespoke guides would make a very useful top section, I have done it in the past and it worked really well.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I have refitted the tip ring to the top of the broken section for now and to be fair it doesn't seem that bad.

That said, I will be contacting Harrison for a new section I think.... it just niggles me when it's sat in the rest next to the perfect one!

Chris

Hi Chris, i own several Harrison rods and damaged one of a pair. Sent the rod to Harrisons, after talking to them. It came back with a new top section and you cannot tell the two apart. Top service.

Cheers guys... ive now been in touch with a few of the people suggested.

After speaking to harrison directly, I think I'll send it directly to then for them to supply a replacement top section, the only negative is its gonna take 4 weeks!!!

Still good things come to those who wait I'm assured....

Back