• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best way to hook meat

Peter Brownbill

Any ideas lads, looking for best way or something I can buy to fish
Meat on the hook , cheers

i take my hooklength off....and pull the hook into the meat....a bit of spaghetti above the bend ensures the meat doesnt come off on casting....and soon softens when in the water.

Works for me anyway.

I use the Enterprise tackle Meat mate for hair rigging meat.. You get 8 stops for about £2:50. The stops will last a long time and the meat dont drop off.

Good luck Peter.

Also check out my similar recent thread asking much the same question (albeit in a much more frustrated fashion!) - loads of great tips in there.

Use a big hook and as others have said use a baiting needle to pull hook through then turn the hook and push a bit of grass through. Only time I ever have it come off is if I try to give it too much welly on the cast.

If you can find them get some VB double hooks( it's like two hooks back to back one smaller one bigger). Use the bigger hook to snag the fish, the smaller hook I tend to cut the point off with pliers and flatten out the bend so it's straight. As John Care does I thread my meat via the top off the rig as I use a figure 8 knot and have a 1-2 inch loop I can fit over a swivel once the meats rigged. I've never had the need for spaghetti/grass to stop it coming off.
Hope that helps, and tight lines.

Thanks for the replies lads,some good tips,taken on board and when I finally get out I'll try them :)

Another way is, cut your meat into the sizes your going to use. Then fry ( and flavour ) them before you leave home. The frying forms a skin on the outside of the meat, and makes it tougher. :) Great for long distance casting. :)

Peter - Lee Miller put me onto these bad boys Tackleup Stay Put Hair Riggers

Absolutely brilliant, and will even firmly hold onto soft meat when a blade of grass won't. I'm not going back to anything else.

Korum also do some pretty good retro-fit screws, however they're only suitable for small pieces of meat.

I've used the stay-put riggers in the past - maybe just me but dislike the extra ironmongery. However, for those commited to use them, they will find them cheaper in the following link:
AGM Hitch Hiker Coils
They are used to secure soft plastic lures.....

I've used the stay-put riggers in the past - maybe just me but dislike the extra ironmongery. However, for those commited to use them, they will find them cheaper in the following link:
AGM Hitch Hiker Coils
They are used to secure soft plastic lures.....

Stay put riggers? I had a couple of them in my favourite swim a week or two back. Left loads of rubbish too :D

For meat, I just pull the hair through a 25mm x 15 x 15 lump lengthways, with a baiting needle. I then add a Korda extenda stop, and pull that into the meat. It works for me because the crays that infest my river can't get those out as they can normal stops. However, I never need to do any energetic casting, so not sure how well it would stand up to that.

Cheers, Dave.

I have been using the korum meat screws with some success...........

Meat Screws - Korum, Fishing Made Easy

Providing you don't cast too far with a big piece of spam they hold the meat well.The only problem I found is that they come off the hair loop a bit too easily when hooking a fish or getting stuck on a snag or up a tree :eek: so I ended up tying the screw to the hair and then making up the rig.

I have been using the korum meat screws with some success...........

Meat Screws - Korum, Fishing Made Easy

Providing you don't cast too far with a big piece of spam they hold the meat well.The only problem I found is that they come off the hair loop a bit too easily when hooking a fish or getting stuck on a snag or up a tree :eek: so I ended up tying the screw to the hair and then making up the rig.

Was it starting to look like little white Christmas tree decorations in the tree opposite Steve :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Was it starting to look like little white Christmas tree decorations in the tree opposite Steve :D:D

Cheers, Dave.
You may laugh but I'm sure most of us have been there,when trying to pull out of a snag and the end tackle suddenly frees itself only to catapult up a nearby tree at speed.
Then when you try and extricate it from the tree there is usually someone walking past thinking it must be the first time you've been fishing as you're being showered with leaves.:eek:

I did just that last week Steve :D My rig came free of a snag, hurtled high into a tree on my side, twanged out of that into an overhanging shrub on 'tother side, and as I whacked the rod backwards to try to stop it reaching the shrub, I ended up with the mother of all tangles around the rod tip :D

In all honesty, that's quite a minor incident compared to my usual repertoire of cockups....I am a walking disaster area, hence my amusement at your predicament :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back