• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

John Wilson Project M rods

Steve Lewis

Full disclosure - I am a BIG fan of the John Wilson range of rods in all of their guises over the years (Heritage, Masterline, Rovex etc) and will make no apologies for that.

However, I've never heard of the "Project M" series of Masterline branded rods. I can't find much about them on the net aside from a few on the 'Bay, but I have an opportunity to buy a 1 3/4lb Avon Project M rod for £25. Seems to be a good price to me, however I already have 3 Wilson Avon rods of various versions and the one I've been offered looks the same and has the same specs as the Heritage Avon rod I've already got (albeit with a different name), so I don't really want to just get the same again.

Aside from that, does anyone know any more about these Project M rods?

Full disclosure - I am a BIG fan of the John Wilson range of rods in all of their guises over the years (Heritage, Masterline, Rovex etc) and will make no apologies for that.

However, I've never heard of the "Project M" series of Masterline branded rods. I can't find much about them on the net aside from a few on the 'Bay, but I have an opportunity to buy a 1 3/4lb Avon Project M rod for £25. Seems to be a good price to me, however I already have 3 Wilson Avon rods of various versions and the one I've been offered looks the same and has the same specs as the Heritage Avon rod I've already got (albeit with a different name), so I don't really want to just get the same again.

Aside from that, does anyone know any more about these Project M rods?
I have a few JW rods, and I am pretty sure I have the Project too, it's an Avon, with carrier that came with two tips. I does say it's a 11 foot/ 13 foot rod, but I only have the 11 foot.
Used it a few times, not a bad rod for Chub etc.

I'll check in the garage later.

Well I did check, and it is the Project M, only have the one quiver tip (red) in the bag does say on the butt 11/13 ' but I don't have the extension, if there was ever one. Best described as a springy action all the way through to the butt. I did try and research this rod, and found nothing I seem to remember.

No Neil - upon physical inspection, apart from a screw-in reel seat, it seems identical to the Mk1 (with the full cork handle) Masterline rod from the 90s (not the flagship Heritage one as I first thought). Even though it was a good price, I couldn't really justify the cost of an identical rod when it's more pressing that I sort myself out with a feeder and shorter float rod.

But, as you say, absolutely chuff all info about this line of rods anywhere.

Probably a 'Project' that never got off the ground, in that case they are probably so rare I should be keeping mine, you never know, but if you are down this way, yours for a tenner.:)

Thanks for posting that link, Chris. It's given me a bit of background into my Normark Carp/Barbel rods (I had cork handles fitted) that I couldn't get much info on. Alas, they sit in my cellar as they don't suit my style of fishing anymore - 'pins and smaller rivers. Still, they're lovely slim blanks and will, again, see the light of day should I change tack.

You're welcome, Richard.
I suspected it might be of slightly wider interest. I was looking for information on Normarks when I found it. Still chasing the elusive Normark Microlite II (NCM13X but not the later 13-14' model) to complete a set. I noted the Project M rods when reading the article and remembered reading this thread.

Yes, thanks Chris - very informative.

So it looks like the Project M range was, like the XL range, a sort-of middle ground between the Debut/Ideal/Prime ranges and the Signature/Heritage models. Kind of glad I didn't opt for that rod, now on that basis.

What's most interesting about that, though - I don't know how old the document is, but I think most, if not all of those Young rods are still made aren't they? Whereas pretty much everything else on there went years ago.

The Masterline factory was here in Tewkesbury for some years, all the production went to Jarvis Walker, a large rod manufacturer based in Australia. All the current John Wilson brand rods are on their website.

I believe the most popular rod is the original John Wilson Avons, I still have three or four on various states of dis-repair, were an ideal tool for my now adult boys back then.

The Wilson Avons are still my go-to rods for most of my fishing. I have 5 of different iterations and they've all see a lot of use and caught a lot of fish from dace up to 20lb+ carp and pike and with various methods, from light float through to heavy feeder work.

I don't care what anyone says - and I know there are plenty of people who have a real downer on them for one reason or another - but I think they're the best and most versatile rods I've ever tried.

Back