• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel options for a less able angler ?

Hi
A mate of mine is very keen on his barbel fishing but his COPD is now restricting his fishing. He loves the Wye but the often-steep banks are now getting too much for him to climb back up.

I'm therefore looking for venues within a reasonable distance of Hertfordshire where A) he will be in with a chance of catching barbel, B) has reasonably level banks or easy access into decent pegs, C) has car parking on or near the bank and D) is available on a day ticket (unless the club book fees are sensible for a pensioner). We don't mind driving a distance if there is easy access into pegs where he'll have a chance of catching.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas all you guys can offer.

Thanks in advance for your help and please pm me if you'd prefer.

Tight lines

David

Sounds like Verulam angling club would be ideal. Check out their website. Marford or Leasey bridge would both suit. Fishers green too, not so prolific though.

Marford farm or leasey bridge would be perfect. Verulam is an excellent club with very helpful members. I can post something on their site if you like

I've never fished Wye Lea, but friends have said there are dedicated disabled swims with platforms and nearby parking.It's also day ticket.It's the stretch between Backney and the upper boundary of Ross on Wye AC.Would be worth giving them a ring to confirm what's available.

He said his mate loves the Wye, so why would he want to fish for still water Barbel in a commercial?

it wasn't necessarily an answer directly to the OP's preferences but meant as a general option to those who are less abled and want to catch barbel...

Back