• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floating line (+ spray)

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
After asking a few times "what is the best sinking line in your opinion" and never really finding a mono that does sink well (although I've now heard that Maxima "sinks like a stone".. but not got around to trying that yet), my new question :)eek:) is..
What the best floating line in your opinion:D? And, does anyone know of a reasonably priced, and highly effective, floating line spray? I've heard that some cleaning/polishing/waterproofing silicone based sprays are good.

OK, whilst we're at it...someone on here, who's tired of blanking, must have enough time on their hands to compile a list for me (well, go on then, for all BFW members:p) of all the lines on the market in order of their 'sinkability'. Lets say, most 'floaty' at the top...and most 'sinky' at the bottom.
Is that tooo much to ask?
ATVBA
Terry

For floater fishing for carp, I've found Drennan Double Strength, Daiwa Sensor and Korda Kruiser Control all float very well when treated. I use the Garbolino spray for the spool, and use Mucilin for the last 4-8 ft. I keep going back to Drennan Double Strength - it's a reasonably priced product that has stood the test of time imo.

Cheers Joe. I've shied away from Drennan Double strength, and all pre-stretched lines actually, since a series of snap-offs on the strike years ago. I take it you've not had this problem?

Can't say I have, although most of my floater fishing is for smaller carp, e.g mid-doubles, using 10-12lb DS, with a 1.75lb TC rod.

The KISS acronym works for me. I will leave you to find that one out. Choose a line your confident in and to make it sink use fairy liquid and to make it float, a line floatation spray. A line I have total confidence in is the Match team line.

Tip I had recently to make line float was to run it through a block of spam! May act as an after-dark rodent attractor though. :D

Leaves a right mess on your Coxon Aeriel though , and the fatty lumps jam up your rod rings ! Mucilin is far more civilised . Fullers earth makes line sink

Leaves a right mess on your Coxon Aeriel though , and the fatty lumps jam up your rod rings ! Mucilin is far more civilised . Fullers earth makes line sink

Mike, all I can say to that is to wash your hands before you have a pee, and leave tuning in the radio until later. Cough.

Cheers, Dave :p

Just checked in my 'Line Box' in the garage and found a large spool (100yds??) of Drennan DS in 10lb bs, bought in the late 80's I guess. Checked it, and it broke at 11.5lb:) Happy Days... will try it on my 'Strike Right Ultraflow':)

Oooh an Ultraflow , the posh Strikeright ,my paper round money only ran to the cooking version the ' Junaflow' :) Mr Gauntlett, the workings of your mind worry me sometime , but nevertheless I will heed your advice when 'tuning in' :D

After asking a few times "what is the best sinking line in your opinion" and never really finding a mono that does sink well (although I've now heard that Maxima "sinks like a stone".. but not got around to trying that yet), my new question :)eek:) is..
What the best floating line in your opinion:D? And, does anyone know of a reasonably priced, and highly effective, floating line spray? I've heard that some cleaning/polishing/waterproofing silicone based sprays are good.

OK, whilst we're at it...someone on here, who's tired of blanking, must have enough time on their hands to compile a list for me (well, go on then, for all BFW members:p) of all the lines on the market in order of their 'sinkability'. Lets say, most 'floaty' at the top...and most 'sinky' at the bottom.
Is that tooo much to ask?
ATVBA
Terry

Maxima Chameleon does sink like a stone. Certainly best feeder line I have used. Landed double figure barbel on 6lb BS (not suggesting everyone does that) but very abrasion resistant too. Yes I have tried the others and Daiwa Sensor is tough as old boots too and good value to come a close second.

As for floating line Drennan Float Fish gets my vote.

drennan floatfish or specimen as mailine,vaseline the meter of line above the float and use silicon spray,like Tec Tane silicone sl527 (very cheap and 400ml spray can)to keep the rest of the line on the surface.

Many thanks for all your input and advice lads. Appreciated, ta.
ATBA
Terry
NB...will check out Tec Tane, and have a play with lines:)

Appears Tec Tane silicone sl527 is no longer available (except for maybe packs of 12 tins from Germany). Anyone ever tried WD40??
ATBA
Terry

Not sure if it's still available Terry,...but I've been using Mastercare Hi Fly for years to spray on the spool,...works a treat.

Tool Station don't list it Mark..although it turns up as Tool Station on a Google search result. Checked it earlier.

Tec Tane SL527 is listed in the current Tool Station catalogue page 195, Item No.21983 £2.79 400ml, as previously stated. Hope this helps.

Back