• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder mesh

Iain Tutt

Got my hands on a load of FFF feeder weights but now need the mesh. Where can i buy it. Was thinking of getting a load of curlers from the pound shop but i prefer metal mesh

I get sheets of metal mesh from Wickes no doubt other suppliers are available, I cut it up with an old pair of scissors

Iain, you will be better off pm ing Ste, he's the one I get the stuff off, dont know what drugs he's on at the moment tho;)

Cheers chaps. Think its of the DIY shops first. This is the best informative forum ive ever joined. Even though ive fished for over 40 am still learning and think i will do my dying day. Should of joined years ago

Didn't find that on the search, Dave. Some good ideas. May just go down the curler route. Found some large pink and blues ones in my old mum's cupboard. She must have bought them in the 70's. Some have grippers inside. May have to paint them unless i find a gay Barbel that likes pink

I have been making feeders for the last few years from plant protectors, the tubular ones, they seem to come in brown or clear, both acceptable colours imo.
I am a part time gardener, so the tubes are free as they have already been used on the small estate I tend, so for them once they have been used, its either me or the tip, so I get in first.
I like a variety of feeders, some with a lot of holes for a faster release of the content,and some with fewer holes, so as they only have a few to start with I just warm up an old tent peg on my blowlamp and melt a few more .
I started by drilling the holes, but the drill was a bit harsh on the plastic, melting seems to leave a small lip around the hole which in fact reinforces it a bit...
I use strips of lead flashing for the weight, it can be varied on the bank by adding another strip if the run if the current is too strong.
They dont look quite as professional as some, but they do the business, the fish dont mind, and I dont worry about losing them as I have squillions stashed away.

David.

Thanks David for the idea. With the pound shop curlers, i will pop into the local garden center. I think i know the bits you mean as am sure ive seen them in there skip after they have done some landscaping.

Back