• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Something different...

Anthony Pearson

I've never tried this before, so I hope it works. I decided to take a GoPro copy (SJCAM 4000 wi-fi) and film my attempts to catch a barbel. With about 80 mins of battery power it was always going to be doomed for failure but to my great surprise everything fell into place and it was a success...well kind of. Having spoken into the camera, filmed the swim and set it up on a bank stick I sat back and hoped. After just over an hour all hell let loose and I was into a barbel!! Now as I had the waterproof casing on the camera (anyone who knows me will agree that that was a sound move) I needed to get my audio from another source and had my field recorder (Zoom Hn2) set up specifically for that purpose. So, as I fought with what was a very lively 9.8 Nidd barbel, I was speaking to the camera (or at least facing it and being picked up on the mic. Apart from the satisfaction of catching such a good fish on this superb little river, I had it all on film! Well, that's what I thought. The next day the was judgement day and my SD card had malfunctioned spectacularly on the camera. The files appeared to be on it but no way could I access them. I tried all the data recovery apps online and even contacted a firm in Leeds (£50-£150 charge!!) but drew a line there. So all I was left with was the audio file. Hopefully the following link will let you hear the exciting bit and may I add that between me whispering a few cliched lines and the run was only a gap of forty seconds (which I have edited out to save you time). How about that for luck?!! If you can listen through headphones it should sound better and put you in the thick of the action.

Perhaps someone's trying to tell me that I have a face for radio ;)

Vocaroo | Voice message

NB: I don't know how to add audio to a post properly, so unless someone deletes the link, it should work for the time being.If anyone can enlighten me, please do so.

Here's the cause of all the fuss (apologies for the photoshopping!):

Great stuff Anthony. I trust that you were intending to be in the water or was it another of your unplanned testing of the water depth? :D

Back