• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Playing fish in a heavy flow

Anthony Pearson

Picture the scene: when standing facing the river it is flowing from right to left. I'm fishing downstream so have the fish and the current to contend with when trying to land it. I'm right handed.

Normally, I would have my right hand on the rod, with fingers either side of the reel stem and use my left hand to reel in. When the going gets tough I may use the left hand on the butt section of the grip and the right hand on the rod above the grip. On other occasions I may wedge the butt of the rod in my midriff/top of the thigh/groin are to provide leverage. Pretty much what most anglers would do I presume.

Yesterday, as I was experiencing one of those red-letter days that others tend to have, catching numerous fish in such conditions, I came up with an alternative to combat the probable bruising caused by the butt of the rod. I held the fore-grip of the rod in my right hand and had the butt section held against the left-hand side of my body around the hip area. This gave me much more power and control without any extra effort, as the weight of my body was basically providing the solid base against which the rod was pushing against. This allowed me to play the fish in comfort and reel in under less stress.

It may not suit everyone and perhaps lots of you already do it. If not, give it a go and reap the benefits.

Back