• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Elipse pellets

James Hinley

I'm trying to locate the elipse pellets - not the pellets called elips pellets, but that aren't elipse shaped, but the actual elipse shaped pellets (if that makes sense - think I've confused myself now)....

Any links guys?

James, they've stopped making them. Apparently there was only one rolling company that used to make them in that shape for the bait companies and they no longer do. The barrels work just as well. :)

Ah that's a shame. I reckon there must be a market but fair play....

Thanks for the info

Yes, they were excellent pellets, which I bought from Teme Severn for a number of years. Once T7 ceased trading Andy Clitheroe (of AC Baits) carried on making them (though barrel shaped). He's now stopped as well. I've not found a pellet that works as well as AC Baits' version (or in the same size - 12mm or thereabouts) but I'm currently trying those made by West Country Baits.

Elips were always pellets from the aquaculture industry, the original elliptical shape was thought to give a slower sink rate through fish farm cages; however this design was dropped in favour of the now cylindrical shape. The current pellets aren't a patch on the originals IMHO, which also contained Astaxanthin and gave them the distinctive orange colour (turned farmed fish flesh pink).

Dont want to poo in anyone's cupboard and each to their own :)

Elips were always pellets from the aquaculture industry, the original elliptical shape was thought to give a slower sink rate through fish farm cages; however this design was dropped in favour of the now cylindrical shape. The current pellets aren't a patch on the originals IMHO, which also contained Astaxanthin and gave them the distinctive orange colour (turned farmed fish flesh pink).

Dont want to poo in anyone's cupboard and each to their own :)

Yes, that's true re; the shape, however I always thought the T7 pellet was different to the Hinders version. Was I wrong?

So what in the opinion of all is the best sub for the hinders ellipse ? I have 2 3kg bags from 6 month ago purchase which will see me good for a month or three. Sorry if this a lazy question but it's difficult to tell when as is the way of the world it's all online

Another pellet which hinders have recently stopped doing is the 3mm high betain, I used to blend these with small elips for a great feeder mix.

To be honest I find I'm using less high oil pellets in my Barbel fishing, as not considered good for this fish; however if I do want a quick session on the pellet, I tend to use sonu baits spicey sausage halibut pellets along with their pellet O's on the hair.

Its a funny old game. I had a few sessions trying sausage sizzle. Not a touch although some swear by the bait.

Generally its pellets on big rivers with decent levels of fish or two types of boilie. One Summer bait and a different, higher flavoured one colder water.

My old favourite was ASAP from Yateley. But made by ANOther Glynn who used to make (and develop!)JBaker baits.

Back