Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 25-07-2017, 21:20

this year I have changed my line korda 12lb touchdown well impressed with it
Old 27-07-2017, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Foran View Post
this year I have changed my line korda 12lb touchdown well impressed with it
My fishing pal decided to change from subline to touchdown and certainly wasn't impressed with it,having lost two good fish being snapped up due to less stretch.
Just a thought Steve.... Me, good old Gr60.
Old 27-07-2017, 23:18

I was using Korda subline,no real issues with it,found the 12lb was rather thick,changed to wychwood DPF in 12 lb,very strong,sinks well and good abrasion resistance,really pleased with it,no issues .
Old 28-07-2017, 09:58

Recently had a search on the net for a super tough abrasion resistant line and found Sufix Tritanium which gets excellent reviews from the sea fishing boys for abrasion resistance. My spool is on the way. Ghostline has issues with knots according to some. I currently use GR60 which is OK but I'm looking for something tougher.

Nick C
Old 28-07-2017, 10:26
Administrator

Used to use Ghostline for sea fishing and found it cheap and abrasion resistant. However, after revisiting it years later found it 'iffy' on knots and consistency - maybe changed over the years?
Sufix Tritanium - pretty much the same experience.
Gardner HydroTuff great line and they once did it in 8lb - not any longer - now starts off at 10lb and up. Still a very good line.
When I've used monofilament over the last 3 or so years, it's been Shimano Technium Invisitec. I also used other variations of Technium. The only real drawback is the expense, but has marginally lower diameter, sinks and lower stretch and seems to obey the usual add some extra pounds to the stated breaking strain when knotted with the appropriate knot.

Cheers
Bob
Old 28-07-2017, 11:12

Berkley Connect CM70 - used this season, converted from Shimano Technium which although a great line didn't seem to last as long.
Old 28-07-2017, 11:43

Re. knots ... only the years I've tried and used a plethora of knots, and whilst never having any problems with braid, at times I've had bother with monos and fluoros. That is : 'slippage' problems with the more 'slippy' monos, e.g. Silstar Match Team, and crimping problems at the hook eye. But this year I seem to have got it sorted.
1/. I got over the crimping problem by only ever going 'once through the eye'.
2/. I've gone back to 8-10 turn blood, tucked. I initially leave a long 'tag' end, tied a simple overhand knot in this and feed it down to within ~3mm of the eye, pulled it tight, then snip off the tag end above the overhand knot.
The overhand knot serves 2 purposes : it's a visual assurance that no slippage has taken place, and, if any slippage DID take place, it would (most likely) stop complete slippage/hook loss.
It's worked well so far anyways
ATVBA

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice (Scooter )
Old 28-07-2017, 13:06

Terry. Using powerpro as hooklink I always go through eye or swivel twice and use a tucked bloodknot to avoid slippage and strangulation. It works.

I am experimenting with superslick 8 powerpro in brown as much of the water I fish is gravel or rock.

As a mainline GT80 although Adrena line on another spool seems also good.
Old 28-07-2017, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Elliott View Post
Terry. Using powerpro as hooklink I always go through eye or swivel twice and use a tucked bloodknot to avoid slippage and strangulation. It works.

I am experimenting with superslick 8 powerpro in brown as much of the water I fish is gravel or rock.

As a mainline GT80 although Adrena line on another spool seems also good.
Hi Gra, I know about the 'capstan effect' of twice through the eye but my concern was that one of the lengths of line that goes through the eye might lie over/on top of the other..and under tension would result in 'crimpage'. Plus, if the knot is right the capstan effect shouldn't be necessary (but then I always go through twice with braid )

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice (Scooter )
Old 28-07-2017, 20:00
Super Moderator

Hi men,

If I was just fishing for barbel it would be GR60 all day long in green . I use touchdown in 15lb for my carp fishing , mainly as the lake I fish in France needed it , fishing locked up across to a snaggy area I had no problems with fish to upper 50's , and have had a few back in England with no issues . Like the idea of lower stretch , but the difference seems minimal and will change all back to GR60 when the line needs replacing .

Hatter