• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Guess the weight

Paul Whiteing

Administrator
Staff member
You can see my self-take photographic skills still need a little honing :eek:

Had this lively beauty on Thursday night, guess the weight? :D:D:D

oops_01.jpg

Yes, 'tis a joke :)

Around 7 judging by your finger size in relation to the gill cover. So hard to judge by a picture.
How are you taking your pictures?

Not quite 47lb Graham but the picture, as often is deceiving.

More like 14.5st Stephen.

I was holding the body when the tail flipped towards the camera Rhys :)

Nobody close (enough), it weighed 9lb :). I'd had an (estimated) 9 earlier and this looked bigger, so I weighed and decided on a practice with the camera for the 14/15 that was bound to follow (NOT)

Just to show my adeptness ;) here's the full sequence of five - and if I even detect a snigger then next time we meet ...........

Nice one Paul, always look forward to your pics :D
I'm the worlds worst,... in daylight I've had more success with hitting the movie mode button and subsequently taking a screenshot later on. Movies need a light source at night of course. I reckon we both need a camera gillie!;)

Mr Whiteing, if i was you, i would sack fishing/photography, and apply to be the next Dr Who. :D:D:D:D:D But for God's sake, give us a smile, :);):):rolleyes::):D:)

When I look back at photos stored in my Tardis :), I can see that most self-takes are a disaster and lack of smile is an indication of disgust at sh#t happening due to camera operation.

Last trip out, where above sequence occurred, I also broke my landing net. What's to smile about? :D

I don't mind having a laugh at myself :). Below is another sequence (of 10) taken on a previous session a year or two ago. Then I had just a 5 sec delay and it all kinda happened before I was ready (now I have a 20 sec delay but it makes no bl##dy difference). Note that I did not include some of the sequence as they didn't come out too well :D:D:D

Bottom line is : I don't bother to take photos usually, nor weigh fish (unless they are over 16lb :)). I'd rather just get the fish back into the water safely. Ian Grant has tried many times to demonstrate how to take a single shot, but I've never managed it in my garden (practising) let alone on the river bank.

Don't even think about mentioning flash and over-exposure :)

Maybe if you stopped pratting about eating sandwiches, as per that first photo, it would help Paul! :D

I think it was Hatter who recommended it on here, but I've started using whistle camera app on my phone and it's great for self takes. I've just ordered a tripod thingy for my phone from ebay as well, only £3.
Beats lugging a camera around and works a treat as you can see what you're taking and set timers etc.
I'll put up some examples when I get the tripod and actually catch something worthy! You can just rest your phone against a bucket or something but for £3 it's a no brainer.

Use as wide angle as possible and increase the resolution to maximum (if you haven't already), do a test shot with you in the picture so the camera knows where to focus. You can crop image later.

I have loads with me, not holding the fish, just picking it up, head cut off, juggling with fish, out of focus because the test shot focussed on the background 50yds away, I could go on....

Back