Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 08-08-2017, 14:02

only really gooduns out there that fit all the requirements are delkins, not cheap but certainly give value long term, i have some origional conversions that are around 35 years old and still going strong even though they,ve been kicked in the water (bad tempered after missing fish ect.) and still working, same goes for the early purpose built delkins
Old 08-08-2017, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craine View Post
The last time I fished the Trent there was a guy a couple of swims down using alarms, he was a bloody nightmare, sounded like a multiple unit break in at an industrial estate, all evening , he didnt catch any fish, just annoyed the hell out of everybody else on the stretch.
Do they make alarms that are silent except for the person using them, because if they do that would be my preference, to avoid annoying the rest of the world .

Dave
My preference would be to bugger off as far away from stretches like that as possible!
Old 08-08-2017, 15:47

When i do use alarms for my barbel fishing i use Delkim EV's with fox snag ears. You can turn the sensitivity down so they do not bleep at every leaf that hits the line. Use them for all my carp and cat fishing as well. Still got 4 of the original De Romag versions and they still work.
Old 08-08-2017, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craine View Post
The last time I fished the Trent there was a guy a couple of swims down using alarms, he was a bloody nightmare, sounded like a multiple unit break in at an industrial estate, all evening , he didnt catch any fish, just annoyed the hell out of everybody else on the stretch.
Do they make alarms that are silent except for the person using them, because if they do that would be my preference, to avoid annoying the rest of the world .

Dave
Maybe bite alarms could be fitted up to some sort of vibrating mechanism [ steady ...] that the snoozing angler could place under his/ her bed or chair and when the fish hooks itself said angler would be woken from there slumber by a pleasant throbbing sensation without annoying his fellow piscators . Just a thought .....
Old 08-08-2017, 16:56

I'm not keen on roller type alarms on the river. They work really well in conjunction with bobbins or a similar indicator, but can be a little hit and miss without. I've had a few sharp rattles and pulls on rod tips that have taken no line and produced no indication from roller type alarms. I prefer the vibration sensing and lack of roller of the Delkim alarms for river fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodgkiss View Post
Maybe bite alarms could be fitted up to some sort of vibrating mechanism [ steady ...] that the snoozing angler could place under his/ her bed or chair and when the fish hooks itself said angler would be woken from there slumber by a pleasant throbbing sensation without annoying his fellow piscators . Just a thought .....
Many of them are, and have been for quite a few years. The snag is that the alarms, with receivers that have such a feature are generally fairly expensive.
Old 08-08-2017, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fletcher View Post
I am looking for some advice on what bite alarms to buy . I have just bought a Korum river tripod to use on the Tidal Trent and was wondering if to use bite alarms ? I need some thing reliable and is not to expensive .

I had a look at some Korum KB1 Alarm 3 + Receiver set in my local tackle shop and was wondering if they are any good ? Has any one used these ?
Hi Joe, there was a thread about 6 months ago along very similar lines, that recommended decent/cheap alarms. I remember a few posts mentioning very usable alarms at a very reasonable price. Not seen any mentioned on this one though (Maybe Tackle changes quicker than i imagined If you like, try the search function "bite alarms", as i may have missed something as i have never used one. Good luck anyway

Stephen
Old 08-08-2017, 18:12

A few seasons back I replaced my old Fox MMX's (v.good alarms) with JRC Radar DSI's on the recommendation of Mick Dinnigan. I haven't used them for barbel, only stillwater angling but I'm really pleased with them. They have performed faultlessly and have all the features I need, the LEDS distinguish between a run and a drop-back, the sensitivity can be adjusted from 4mm up to 15cm (ideal for river fishing), good volume and tone control (i usually have the heads on silent and rely on the receiver so as the not cause any disturbance - the receiver itself is brilliant and has proved very reliable. The solid rubber head covers are a good touch as well.

They are made for JRC by a Czech company called Flazjar in the Czech republic - not China. The build quality is good. I also have bought the cheaper C1's to keep with the spare set of tackle I keep down at my mother's house in Devon, they are good too.

You can also buy a sensor to put in your car to alert you of anyone trying to break in - quite handy for some parts of the Trent.

I paid around £220 for mine, but I see you can get a new set of 3 for £139 on Ebay which is a bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADAR-DSI-...4AAOSw4~VZiERw

Diogenes
Old 08-08-2017, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I'm not keen on roller type alarms on the river. They work really well in conjunction with bobbins or a similar indicator, but can be a little hit and miss without. I've had a few sharp rattles and pulls on rod tips that have taken no line and produced no indication from roller type alarms. I prefer the vibration sensing and lack of roller of the Delkim alarms for river fishing.

Many of them are, and have been for quite a few years. The snag is that the alarms, with receivers that have such a feature are generally fairly expensive.
Second hand Fox SXV's are going for reasonable money and they shout if you fart on them! I recently acquired one with a(nother) pair of SX digitals and I'm going to try them for piking. Line pulled off an open spool activates them with no line skip.
Old 08-08-2017, 21:41

I have used bite alarms since the Herons were invented and to be honest even the cheap alarms these day will all work well
BUT IMO Delkims are the daddy the most adjustable alarms that will cover any situation
Old 08-08-2017, 22:23

I use the attx from Gardner,silent heads,waterproof even when immersed in the river(oops)and very long battery life,having the sounder box in your pocket on vibrate facility doesn't alert the swim chasers also.