Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 07-08-2017, 17:11

Default Bite Alarms ?

I am looking for some advice on what bite alarms to buy . I have just bought a Korum river tripod to use on the Tidal Trent and was wondering if to use bite alarms ? I need some thing reliable and is not to expensive .

I had a look at some Korum KB1 Alarm 3 + Receiver set in my local tackle shop and was wondering if they are any good ? Has any one used these ?
Old 07-08-2017, 18:58

Hi Joe not used these but did just take a look.not sure these have sensitivity control,which I think you would need on a river,I do have a set of alarms with that large roller,and I would imagine they would be giving a lot of false bleeps.
Old 07-08-2017, 18:58

I'd go for second hand Fox SX digitals. I bought mine second hand over ten years ago and they're still going strong, absolutely bomb proof.

A mate has the Korum and they're giving him problems.
Old 07-08-2017, 19:06

I have a couple of the Fox Micron MX+ alarms.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox-...lus-bite-alarm

They are more expensive than the Korum but I can recommend them.Lots of features including a handy locking collar to easily screw the alarm at the right angle onto the pod.
I also really like the toggle on/off switch so it can be switched off when setting it up which saves annoying your angling neighbours.
Old 07-08-2017, 20:46

problem with cheaper box sets is the receiver oftern does not have a tone that corresponds with what the head does which can be very annoying if you have bream in your swim!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:12

I have fished the tidal Trent for years, and been through all manner of alarms (through preference rather than necessity).

I am currently using Nash R3s and have to say, they have been fantastic.

The 'false bleep elimination' has proved excellent, and with the amount of weed and detritus coming down the river as it does, it has really been tested.

Whilst I don't bleat on about tackle too much in general, these come highly recommended (and can be picked up at reasonable money 2nd hand).
Old 08-08-2017, 12:25

I've had many alarms over the years ( carp fish too) and I would agree on Fox Microns. I have a set of the original ones with the red LED and they are bullet proof. I've dropped in the water several times and still fine. Batteries last forever too.
Old 08-08-2017, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Agacy View Post
I've had many alarms over the years ( carp fish too) and I would agree on Fox Microns. I have a set of the original ones with the red LED and they are bullet proof. I've dropped in the water several times and still fine. Batteries last forever too.
Agreed! I dug my original ones out for a carp session recently having not used them for about five years. Worked fine and batteries were still good!
Old 08-08-2017, 13:38

The last time I fished the Trent there was a guy a couple of swims down using alarms, he was a bloody nightmare, sounded like a multiple unit break in at an industrial estate, all evening , he didnt catch any fish, just annoyed the hell out of everybody else on the stretch.
Do they make alarms that are silent except for the person using them, because if they do that would be my preference, to avoid annoying the rest of the world .

Dave
Old 08-08-2017, 13:56

Could have been worse Dave,... remember these? .....
http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/vbullet...pictureid=5994

The old optonics were a revelation in comparison,.... still use cheap and cheerful microns for the odd stillwater foray.