• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bite Alarms ?

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
I am looking for some advice on what bite alarms to buy . I have just bought a Korum river tripod to use on the Tidal Trent and was wondering if to use bite alarms ? I need some thing reliable and is not to expensive .

I had a look at some Korum KB1 Alarm 3 + Receiver set in my local tackle shop and was wondering if they are any good ? Has any one used these ?

Hi Joe not used these but did just take a look.not sure these have sensitivity control,which I think you would need on a river,I do have a set of alarms with that large roller,and I would imagine they would be giving a lot of false bleeps.

I'd go for second hand Fox SX digitals. I bought mine second hand over ten years ago and they're still going strong, absolutely bomb proof.

A mate has the Korum and they're giving him problems.

I have a couple of the Fox Micron MX+ alarms.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox-micron-mx-plus-bite-alarm

They are more expensive than the Korum but I can recommend them.Lots of features including a handy locking collar to easily screw the alarm at the right angle onto the pod.
I also really like the toggle on/off switch so it can be switched off when setting it up which saves annoying your angling neighbours.:)

problem with cheaper box sets is the receiver oftern does not have a tone that corresponds with what the head does which can be very annoying if you have bream in your swim!

I have fished the tidal Trent for years, and been through all manner of alarms (through preference rather than necessity).

I am currently using Nash R3s and have to say, they have been fantastic.

The 'false bleep elimination' has proved excellent, and with the amount of weed and detritus coming down the river as it does, it has really been tested.

Whilst I don't bleat on about tackle too much in general, these come highly recommended (and can be picked up at reasonable money 2nd hand).

I've had many alarms over the years ( carp fish too) and I would agree on Fox Microns. I have a set of the original ones with the red LED and they are bullet proof. I've dropped in the water several times and still fine. Batteries last forever too.

I've had many alarms over the years ( carp fish too) and I would agree on Fox Microns. I have a set of the original ones with the red LED and they are bullet proof. I've dropped in the water several times and still fine. Batteries last forever too.

Agreed! I dug my original ones out for a carp session recently having not used them for about five years. Worked fine and batteries were still good!

The last time I fished the Trent there was a guy a couple of swims down using alarms, he was a bloody nightmare, sounded like a multiple unit break in at an industrial estate, all evening , he didnt catch any fish, just annoyed the hell out of everybody else on the stretch.
Do they make alarms that are silent except for the person using them, because if they do that would be my preference, to avoid annoying the rest of the world .

Dave

only really gooduns out there that fit all the requirements are delkins, not cheap but certainly give value long term, i have some origional conversions that are around 35 years old and still going strong even though they,ve been kicked in the water (bad tempered after missing fish ect.) and still working, same goes for the early purpose built delkins:)

The last time I fished the Trent there was a guy a couple of swims down using alarms, he was a bloody nightmare, sounded like a multiple unit break in at an industrial estate, all evening , he didnt catch any fish, just annoyed the hell out of everybody else on the stretch.
Do they make alarms that are silent except for the person using them, because if they do that would be my preference, to avoid annoying the rest of the world .

Dave

My preference would be to bugger off as far away from stretches like that as possible!

When i do use alarms for my barbel fishing i use Delkim EV's with fox snag ears. You can turn the sensitivity down so they do not bleep at every leaf that hits the line. Use them for all my carp and cat fishing as well. Still got 4 of the original De Romag versions and they still work.

Dave

Maybe bite alarms could be fitted up to some sort of vibrating mechanism [ steady ...] that the snoozing angler could place under his/ her bed or chair and when the fish hooks itself said angler would be woken from there slumber by a pleasant throbbing sensation without annoying his fellow piscators . Just a thought .....

I'm not keen on roller type alarms on the river. They work really well in conjunction with bobbins or a similar indicator, but can be a little hit and miss without. I've had a few sharp rattles and pulls on rod tips that have taken no line and produced no indication from roller type alarms. I prefer the vibration sensing and lack of roller of the Delkim alarms for river fishing.

Maybe bite alarms could be fitted up to some sort of vibrating mechanism [ steady ...] that the snoozing angler could place under his/ her bed or chair and when the fish hooks itself said angler would be woken from there slumber by a pleasant throbbing sensation without annoying his fellow piscators . Just a thought .....

Many of them are, and have been for quite a few years. The snag is that the alarms, with receivers that have such a feature are generally fairly expensive.

I am looking for some advice on what bite alarms to buy . I have just bought a Korum river tripod to use on the Tidal Trent and was wondering if to use bite alarms ? I need some thing reliable and is not to expensive .

I had a look at some Korum KB1 Alarm 3 + Receiver set in my local tackle shop and was wondering if they are any good ? Has any one used these ?

Hi Joe, there was a thread about 6 months ago along very similar lines, that recommended decent/cheap alarms. I remember a few posts mentioning very usable alarms at a very reasonable price. Not seen any mentioned on this one though:confused: (Maybe Tackle changes quicker than i imagined:) If you like, try the search function "bite alarms", as i may have missed something as i have never used one.:) Good luck anyway

Stephen

A few seasons back I replaced my old Fox MMX's (v.good alarms) with JRC Radar DSI's on the recommendation of Mick Dinnigan. I haven't used them for barbel, only stillwater angling but I'm really pleased with them. They have performed faultlessly and have all the features I need, the LEDS distinguish between a run and a drop-back, the sensitivity can be adjusted from 4mm up to 15cm (ideal for river fishing), good volume and tone control (i usually have the heads on silent and rely on the receiver so as the not cause any disturbance - the receiver itself is brilliant and has proved very reliable. The solid rubber head covers are a good touch as well.

They are made for JRC by a Czech company called Flazjar in the Czech republic - not China. The build quality is good. I also have bought the cheaper C1's to keep with the spare set of tackle I keep down at my mother's house in Devon, they are good too.

You can also buy a sensor to put in your car to alert you of anyone trying to break in - quite handy for some parts of the Trent.

I paid around £220 for mine, but I see you can get a new set of 3 for £139 on Ebay which is a bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADAR-DSI...868354?hash=item51fcdfad82:g:ap4AAOSw4~VZiERw

I'm not keen on roller type alarms on the river. They work really well in conjunction with bobbins or a similar indicator, but can be a little hit and miss without. I've had a few sharp rattles and pulls on rod tips that have taken no line and produced no indication from roller type alarms. I prefer the vibration sensing and lack of roller of the Delkim alarms for river fishing.

Many of them are, and have been for quite a few years. The snag is that the alarms, with receivers that have such a feature are generally fairly expensive.

Second hand Fox SXV's are going for reasonable money and they shout if you fart on them! I recently acquired one with a(nother) pair of SX digitals and I'm going to try them for piking. Line pulled off an open spool activates them with no line skip.

I have used bite alarms since the Herons were invented and to be honest even the cheap alarms these day will all work well
BUT IMO Delkims are the daddy the most adjustable alarms that will cover any situation

I use the attx from Gardner,silent heads,waterproof even when immersed in the river(oops)and very long battery life,having the sounder box in your pocket on vibrate facility doesn't alert the swim chasers also.

Back