Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 24-08-2017, 19:34

For information, I've just taken the bottom photo on my phone which accounts for the rather dark appearance compared to the top one.

The jasper whipping may be a clue as I can't find an image of a rod where the orientation of the label is the same as here.
Old 24-08-2017, 21:04

Anthony, that black and yellow jasper was used on a lot of Modern Arms (Marco) rods but the label doesn't look quite right for them. How long is the rod?
Old 24-08-2017, 21:58

It's an eleven footer, Haydn. It certainly bears a resemblance to the Marco, 'The Test Rod' on here:

http://vintagefishingtackle.net/COARSE-FISHING-RODS

..but the intermediates aren't in jasper on mine.
Old 24-08-2017, 23:08

Looking at the fittings I would say that your rod is likely to be a Marco Test but could be an Arun however it's clearly missing the little laughing fisherman in his trilby hat which was there logo . Marco made good quality rods and in my opinion are under rated , the' Tests' in all there lengths are well up to dealing with a barbel . It could also be a black Seal . It is difficult to be absolutely definitive with many cane rods as often different manufacturers used generic fittings e.g. collars,butt caps and reel fittings
Old 24-08-2017, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Pearson View Post
Sorry, Mike. I meant that the label was gold.....'ish in colour. Not goldfish!

I've already spoken to Chas, but thanks for the offer.
Sorry Anthony , me not reading things properly . No worries re the rod don't want to be treading on good old Chas's toes If in the future you are looking for a refurbished cane rod be it for Barbel or anything else let me know I have various rods available
Old 25-08-2017, 00:03

Quote:
If in the future you are looking for a refurbished cane rod be it for Barbel or anything else let me know I have various rods available
Mike, that's exactly what I'm worried about!!!
Old 25-08-2017, 00:13

As the song goes , ' Don't worry , be happy '
Old 25-08-2017, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodgkiss View Post
Marco made good quality rods and in my opinion are under rated , the' Tests' in all there lengths are well up to dealing with a barbel .

Mike, Yes, I agree. Marco did make some very decent rods. I have a 12 foot Arun and and that would make a cracking barbel rod, as it has some serious backbone, for a twelve footer. I doubt Anthony's rod is an Arun though. Every one I've ever seen has a rather distinctive whipping pattern of two intermediates close together, just outside the guide whips and usually ingarnet, rather than jasper. Here's a few photos of mine -

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/...p?f=310&t=5434

A Test, however, that is exactly what I had in mind. But that label is totally wrong.

Anthony, another maker that used that black and yellow Jasper a lot was Precision. Yours is not one of their rods, which more's the pity, as that would have been a real lucky find. Top, top maker, them.

I suspect someone on TF might be able to tell you a likely maker. I've jogged my memory by having a look through a load of pictures I have on my PC of labels I've photographed and also elsewhere on various sites but that label is not quite like any of the normal, well-known makers marks. Not at least that I can see. There is a possibility that it could be a retailer's label, rather than a manufacturers.
Old 25-08-2017, 18:19

Mike and Haydn, thanks for putting in the time to try and identify my rod. Whatever it turns out to be, it felt more than up to the job and had a really smooth action, which surprised me! The cane aficionados out there will know exactly what I mean and whilst I'm sure some of the sticks out there deserve their place in the vegetable patch, this one doesn't. I look forward to landing a double on it this autumn!
Old 25-08-2017, 23:16

Haydn, I think you are spot-on regarding the label. I've trawled through pages of google images of cane rods and found nothing remotely similar.

Whilst looking on the link Haydn shared, I came across this link on the TF site and it's a good read for anyone interested in the history of cane rods/floats/reels etc.in this country:

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/