Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 08:28

Default split cane rods

anyone still use split cane rods for there barbel fishing after years of carbon i fancied a change so bought myself a 60 year old B.James Avocet not cheap but still looks strong enough to land a good un if i'm lucky enough.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59

I do Tony- from time to time! They are beautiful things but in reality of course can't match the performance of modern rods. I have a Barder, built for me a couple of years ago and it's absolutely exquisite. Used it a couple of times and even caught a few barbel with it rolling meat on the Wye.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:38

In the right circumstances split cane rods are a joy to use and are every bit as good as modern carbon fibre rods . Sometimes I think people are a little afraid of using them ' hard ' as it where , thinking they may break when bent in to a large fish . I fish with cane rods whenever possible , a few weeks a go I caught an 11lb + Swale barbel in a tight swim using a B james MK1V Avon rod and it coped admirably . The limitations of cane rods are that they are a lot heavier in the hand than carbon and are not as good at casting heavy weights a long distance . They also require to be looked after properly i.e. not stored in a damp condition , however the effort it takes to wipe down your rod after a session and storing it properly is minimal .
Old 09-08-2017, 10:51

Tony , just to add , if you fancy trying a cane rod for barbel just let me know . I restore cane rods for a living and have a number' in stock 'as it were that would do the job for you , you are welcome to borrow one , just E mail me on mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com
Old 09-08-2017, 10:57

Hi Tony, I use them fairly regularly on the smaller rivers coupled with Speedia reels they're a real joy and add a bit of extra fun to the game. I have around a dozen split cane rods for various disciplines but the ones that I use mainly for barbel are the aforementioned mkIV Avon and a mkIV carp. I've had double figure barbel on both and they handled them with ease.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:00

There you go Tony , what better recommendation could you get !
Old 09-08-2017, 11:38

I suspect you are right Mike about being a little afraid to use them. If I was still fishing the Kennet regularly I suspect I would use mine more. On the Wye I think it's just about finding the right swims/conditions. I certainly don't shy away from using my treasured pins!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:08

Yes Howard , with cane rods it is very much horses for courses . I don't think even a stepped up MK1V carp rod would provide the ballista like qualities required to sling 4 ozs of lead across the tidal Trent for example . The biggest river I regularly fish is the Yorkshire Ouse , Mother Ouse is a pretty big river and one that I can cast wherever I want to with a cane rod in normal conditions ,however if it had 10 ft in I would defer to carbon . Edward Barder rods are works of art and worth every penny when you consider the hours that have gone in to making them and the quality of the finish .
Old 09-08-2017, 14:00

Yes I had to wait 2 years for the Barder but it was worth it. When I lived in Newbury I worked out that he was based a mile from my house so I made the expensive mistake of popping in to see him. He operates from a very unassuming building that is something between a shed and a barn that he rents from an old school friends parents. He had a couple of completed rods that I could view and I looked at these and then across to the pile of bamboo. Quite astonishing. Having zero skill in anything remotely practical, I could only marvel at the craftsmanship. But at the same time worry that the art is dying. Edward has someone that works with him but I couldn't readily see how his skills etc. might be passed down or indeed across. He might be at the peak of his powers and I just felt I wanted to own and cherish a piece of angling craftsmanship. Its the same with my Witcher pins but they do see considerably greater use.

The Barder is a "Chris Yates Barbus Maximus SU". We opted for a slightly beefier version of the MK11.
Old 09-08-2017, 23:42

I have a few split cane rods, and but have to admit that when I was about 25 ysr old, I had a financial problem and sold my Walker mark 1V Avon, I never replaced it, but still have a half dozen other Cane rods.
I have been recently thinking about building a Barbel rod from a decent 3 piece Salmon fly rod. I am sure if a Cane rod can handle a Salmon, a Barbel should not present too much of a problem.
Just looking for a suitable rod now for conversion.

Dave