• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel in the Lake District

Hello all,

I hope everyone has had a good start to the season!

I will be travelling up to the lake district for the week and was wondering if there are any good holding spots up there for barbel.

Thanks for reading.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

So far as Cumbria goes - I suppose it is possible that the Eden or Lune may hold a barbel or two, but your chances of catching one on over a weekend (if not a season) are probably on a par with winning the lottery.

So far as the Lake District is concerned - zero chance. The major river systems like the Esk, Duddon, Derwent are acidic spate rivers which only support salmonids.

If your traveling North up the M6 then you could always try the Ribble in Lancashire.

A very nice little carp water is Holehird tarn between Ambleside and Windermere controlled by WDAAA You used to be able to buy day tickets from the angling shop in Windermere. Full of lilies but some nice carp and very pretty with easy access. Otherwise its pike .

I've always visited Grasmere with a lure rod and nabbed a few pike. Good fun and idyllic at dawn before the crowds appear.

Back