• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Court field fishery advise

Hi everyone,
I've booked two days fishing on the Courtfield fishery for barbel on the river Wye. Can anyone suggest accommodation close by please and does anybody know the gprs coordinates.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Serge, i googled the courtfield section and the details are on the website, it recommends a Hotel in HR9 as local,its very plush.There are also two places advertising on this BFW site (supporting us all ) that are in HR9 so it maybe worth looking there (and say you saw the advert on this site).On the homepage look to the right hand side to the Barbel directory,below that there is Barbel accommodation,click there then scroll down to the section that says Wye,hope that helps,maybe others know of closer places.

Hi Serge,

The pub I would have sent you to is unfortunately now closed and been turned into a private home but I recently discovered The Cross Keys in Goodrich, not stayed there yet but recently ate there while sussing it out. John the boss showed me and the current Mrs W the rooms and looks very comfortable. They are used to Barbel anglers and our comings and goings as well.

Cross Keys Inn
6 Springfield Road
Goodrich
Ross-on-Wye
HR9 6JB

I have stayed at:
The Inn on the Wye
Kerne Bridge
Goodrich
HR9 5QS

and also :

The Hostelrie
Goodrich
HR9 6HX

Both are very comfortable and have websites you can peruse.

Regards,

Bill

Can recommend the Inn on the Wye, good breakfast and they also do £10 day tickets to a stretch about 400yds down the road

Hi serge

Bill has pretty much covered it, I was up there a few months ago, I stayed at flanesford priory in their smallest apartment, albeit self catering, perfectly adequate, 5 mins upstream from ccourtfield.
With regards to parking you can't miss it. Next to waterworks entrance in front of wooden gate which enters the fishery at the upstream meadow or if you plan to fish the wooded section downstream and want to save your legs there is a lay-by further down the road near the woods,
I fished the meadow as recommend to me in a peg where you will see a drain cover on the path, had consistent sport all day from an area to the nearside bank slightly upstream just off the overhanging tree. Tried the wooded area on day 2 but lost so much tackle in the huge boulders that I returned to the meadow again .

Lovely stretch.
Tight lines
Cliff

I used to fish this stretch when it was controlled by The Forest of Dean AC before it was taken over by Wye & Usk. I used to love the wooded area and had one or two good bags of fish but as Cliff said lost many sets of terminal tackle.
You have a PM Serge.

If you decide on Flanesford avoid the appartments with bedroom on the mezzanine floor

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It is all most welcome. I feel more confident now.

One other question please. What size cage feeder is best suited for this stretch and would i abe able to use my 1.75lb TC or would I need a 2lb TC rod.
Thanks guys.

1.75lb TC with 2oz feeder if levels stay low. 2lb with 3 or 4oz if we get rain and levels rise more than a foot or two!

If the levels stay low Serge, give some thought to preventing cut offs. I've lost half a dozen fish this year from cutoffs so now use a 2-3 foot length of Kryston Quiclsilver Gold as a rubbing leader. I use this 'cos I can't thread my 10lb Big Game thru' anti tangle tubing !!!! :(

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the advise. Will definitely use it. As this is my first visit to the Wye. I want to come well prepared Bill.

Cheers Paul, my local tackle shop is quite clued up with match and pole fishing I'll ask in there :)

Back