• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Elips ??

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi can anyone tell me what Elips pellets contain ?

I mean is it fishmeal based ?

One of the formulas for a typical fish based pellet like elips:

Fish meal
Fish Oil
Soya
Wheat
Maize Gluten
Wheat Gluten
Vitamins
Minerals

Oil content is usually high (15 to 30%).

I alway thought Halibut was the main ingredient but you learn something new every day

I think that the term Halibut refers to the intended consuming fish.
Most bait companies use commercial pellets from fish feed producers, buy them in bulk and sell them at quite a profit in smaller packages, often with a different name. The old 'elips' referred to the eliptical shape (these tend to fall through the water slower than cylindrical shaped), theoretically giving less wastage.

Salmon, trout pellets contain substances that impart a pink tinge to the flesh similar to the compounds found in shrimp and krill for example. The reason for this is that commercially (aka cage, farmed etc) grown/reared fish would have pale/greyish flesh rather than pink associated with that species.

Things have changed over the years regarding formulation and acceptable additives, oil content and shape.

Formulation of high oil trout/salmon pellet from yesteryear......(very successful barbel bait, possibly the best IMO and supplied by Bfw)

Oil 33%
Protein 38%
Fibre 1%
Ash 7%

Vitamin A 10000 iu/kg
Vitamin D 1500 iu/kg
Vitamin E 250 iu/kg

Contains: Fishmeal, fish oil, wheat, soya, maize gluten, wheat gluten, Vitamins and minerals
Copper Sulphate
Ethoxyquin (antioxidant)
Astaxanthin (pigment)
Canthaxnthin pigment)

Hi Paul - yes I remember you collecting them. I've still got 5 kg or so in the freezer. The good news is that they worked last year :).
Cheers
Bob

Thanks very much for the replies folks

Back