• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stripping a Speedia?

Neil Blood

I have a Speedia Wide Drum Triple Check, which I used in anger for the first time last week, to land 5 nice Barbel. Its by no means my first pin and I’m made up with the reel; now having seen some past threads on here, I want to dismantle the reel, strip all the old paint work off and then polish it up with brasso (all metal work and components).

Are there any watch outs/tricky bits re dismantling and reassembling the reel please? I only ask as typically I'm rubbish at engineering and DIY jobs!

Neil,

Stripping a Speedia is a doddle. I've done two of them.

I use a product called Paramose, but you'll probably have trouble finiding this, as it's a trade product. Nitromoors should be perfectly useable though, if somewhat more expensive and less powerful. That said, the paint on most Speedias is very thin. Brush it on all over, carefully trying not to get any inside the center boss. Use a a toothbrush to help lift the stripped paint on the inside of the drum edges etc and then thoroughly nuetralise the paint stripper with meths (even if it's a water washable paint stripper).

More here:

http://www.thepathbythewater.net/ph...2222&p=32705&hilit=stripping+a+speedia#p32705

I saw an article about soaking their speedia in Dettol for a few days to remove the paint.I tried soaking one of mine and only about half the paint cam off,the rest had to be teased off.Others have had better success.Worth a try,its cheap and less aggressive than paint stripper,it seems that a couple of different paints were used and one comes off more easily.

Dettol is absolutely the way to go, just take the drum off the spindle and fully immerse both parts in dettol for 8 hours then brush off the paint bits that didn't fall off with an old tooth brush - it works!

Update: The Speedia back plate has been immersed in neat Dettol for 12 hours and 50% of the paint has lifted from the metal already!

Back