Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 21:06

The birds in my garden are very grateful for my unused maggots. Obviously most will bury themselves but, this gets the birds foraging ferociously. Which keeps them slim and healthy.
Or if you like, keep them in the shed till they turn, then chuck them out.
btw, hedgehogs like 'em to. Stick some in a cat bowl, so they can't crawl out. They'll be gone come morning, if hedgie is about.
Old 08-09-2017, 21:35

Default Maggots

Riddle maggots,put about 2pints in 3pint baitbox then cover box with plastic bag before putting lid back on then fridge, I have kept them for up to 3 weeks like this,they will take up to 2 hours to come round
Old 08-09-2017, 21:46

Bloody hell, I never have two pints of maggits left after a session - you fishin' wiv a gallon Dave? lol
Old 08-09-2017, 22:10

Default Maggots

I sort the bait for my mate as well as my own,we also buy a couple of pints of fresh on the day,plus may not even use them on the day so just keep on rotating things Chris.
Old 08-09-2017, 22:27

When I fished hard for barbel on the Bristol Avon Dave, it was casters all the way - with hemp of course. Perhaps half pint of red maggits, just for the hook.
A full day's fishing would be at least 6 pts hemp and 4 pts casters. Bait dropping 2 and 1 straight off..
Old 09-09-2017, 09:39

If I have to keep maggots for a longer period, I riddle off all the dead, and rubbish, seal in an air tight bag and keep in a fridge, but you have to unseal every day or so to keep the air sweet. For keeping for shorter periods, as said a large bowl in a cool dark place suffices.

I have scattered excess maggots in a variety of cars and vans, this can be a problem when trying to locate, until a squadron appears in the cab
Old 09-09-2017, 09:49

Great article here, by the man himself (sadly missed):

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/vbullet...ead.php?t=5674
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14

Cheers Keith,still helping us all out,You can also just freeze them,save them up and use them dead for tench fishing/lake fishing sessions.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:01

Doing what Jon and Mark describe works well for me, very handy for fishing places like Loch Naw where fresh supplies can't be sourced locally.

In terms of looking after them in the tub, so to speak, as others have said use a tub with a large surface area with and regular riddling and addition of fresh maize.

With the exception of casters, I can't think of a finer bait. My last session of last season saw me break my PB twice with 13.11 followed by a 14.10, as well as a 12.5. All on maggots. They are deadly in the right conditions.

Diogenes
Old 09-09-2017, 13:55

Joe, did you read Keith's piece about casters,the last section explains how to travel with maggots which maybe will help.You can also add freezer blocks or 2 litre water bottles frozen to the polystyrene box to cool the maggots even longer to make them last better on the journey