Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 23:13

On an unfamiliar section of river I spend an hour or two trotting a stick float down to establish the features, always a chance of catching a fish while I'm at it!
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30

I have a friend who has used one since the start of the season on two different rivers.Net result for his efforts are his catch rate has actually dropped quite dramatically,probably because he's too busy faffing around with said gimmick......the word sucker springs to mind.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29

Sounds like fun!
Old 12-09-2017, 18:55

My results improved when I waded through several stretches on a river I fish, finding features I had no idea existed. Unfortunately you can't do it on all rivers and it takes rather a long time to complete. The idea of using a sonar was to speed things up a little and hopefully keep me dry!
Old 12-09-2017, 19:25

Sorry to jump on your post but Ive just dropped into the classifieds section a deeper that I have on ebay if anyone is interested
Old 12-09-2017, 19:45

Not used mine in anger yet but wanted to try and find some features on a relatively deep and baron stretch sometimes I fish.

The connection via wifi is superb so I like casting it far upstream and letting it drift down adjusted the sensitivity more now and switched off the fish icon display, the detail is quite something. I'm a sucker for gadgets though.

One of my blog posts on the use of the deeper
Old 16-09-2017, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Pearson View Post
My results improved when I waded through several stretches on a river I fish, finding features I had no idea existed. Unfortunately you can't do it on all rivers and it takes rather a long time to complete. The idea of using a sonar was to speed things up a little and hopefully keep me dry!
Anthony, I see the next Catch Cult release (no 4) will include an article on using a sonar by Ian Crook. Will be worth a read.
If you are fishing smaller and shallow rivers that you can wade in, then I think you'll be wasting your time using one.
On larger rivers like the Thames, which have a lot of featureless stretches then it could be a good investment. Gives you something to do in the closed season.
Take a mate with you so he can note down your findings.
Old 16-09-2017, 14:57

Have no time for bait boats at all. Throws all the skill of casting out the window. The only remote control boat i would buy would be for a kiddies boating lake.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37

A bit of a follow-up on the Deeper. I borrowed one from a mate (the original Deeper) and had a play with it. It really does throw up some surprises and it's fascinating to see how much a river bed can rise and fall. The question is, will the use of technology change the feeding habits of fish? I'm going to start a new thread for this, so join in if interested.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:23

I have a Deeper Pro. Jury is out TBH. Very useful for snag finding and drop offs , channels etc. Don't take too much notice of the fish finder function.I have problems with connectability when changing phones and tablets and installing the new apps. At the moment I can't get it to connect to Iphone??
I'm also very conscious using it when other anglers about, not from a secrecy point of view but more it makes a lot of disturbance when you are casting about and properly mapping a swim, and I do try and be considerate.
I guess I'll use it a lot more close season , just for a reason to get by the river for a few hours if nothing else. However what we see close season vs what the river is like now and to the end of the season on a spate river are 2 different things.
To do it properly it helps to have a pal making notes - the app does record things but then you forget which swim is which, or I do.
I also do feel a bit of a cheat, but that's just a personal thing. To help with my conscience I do share info on nasty snags, new features with pals
I carry it with me but rarely use it and I don't see this changing as we enter the winter when my sessions are short and sweet
Has it caught me any more fish -I don't think so
It might in the future if I ever get my pike boat on the river, but seals & otters have knocked in my motivation for that project.