• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Posting a Rod

Neil Kirk

I thought I would share some interesting info.

I recently bought a rod on ebay and the seller charged me £10.50 for posting.
I asked the seller how he managed to post for such a good price and he referred me to upstoday.com much cheaper than main UPS site.

UPS is not a perfect carrier in my experience but as good as any other I have used - just make sure you package in a strong cardboard tube.

Neil

Google UPS quick quote , if he was shipping within the UK cost would be £8.90 next day, perhaps he added a bit on for the packaging . I use UPS all the time and ship all around the world they have never let me down

Just done one yesterday, had to make the tube 200cm to get a reasonable price still costs me £16 TNT collect+ will checkout UPS as got another to send.

UPS figures just entered details on their site Standard delivery 200cm rod £100 value £23.75 delivery !!!!!!

Using the upstoday.com its half that price!!!!! 200cm x 15cm x 15cm 4kilo £10.80

guess which one I WILL BE USING !!!!!!!

Ive used UPSToday a fair bit recently, usually pay £8.40 and its a collect/drop off 24hr service.
Better than the £20 I was paying before, and I had to drop it at the couriers too.

Good . As I said I have sent rods all around the world with UPS and they have never failed to deliver you should be fine with them

Had a shop send me a rod recently the tube was 202cm ( Bowler with case ) and the Post office held it!!!! Think he put 200cm on the form. He had to go and collect and resend it. 200cm seems to be the magic mark.

The place I brought it from was a tackle shop up north, it was royal mail, I contacted the shop when it didn't arrive, he chased around and found it at the post office, that's when the length issue came up, when it did arrive ( UPS I believe ) the tube was 202cm.

Guess the PO collected from hiw business address? although not sure how shops deal with the post office. Post Office £32.98 lol

Mine get left in a doored porch for them to collect so don't have to worry, I live away from the crowds.

Rod I posted arrived on time, happy customer, happy me as it got there cheaply :0)

Had a powerpak I sent collect+ the other week, paid signed and insured got call from guy not arrived, checked site it was delivered on the wednesday, phoned company, sorry we didn't get it signed but left it locked in his electric meter box, with photograph!!!, they didn't card him of the fact, he opened the door and there it was.

That's the only downside Graham, i've sent stacks of rods with ups and there is no regular pattern around this area as to when they could arrive to pick it up, it's ranged from 8.40am to 5.30pm...
as i said i've sent loads and the other day i had an email from ups saying one of the rods i sent was over the stated size and weight which was absolute cobblers, i religiously measure and weigh and always err on the plus side.. the tube itself was 196 x 11 x 11cm and a perfectly round cardboard tube, they reckon the diameter was 12 x 11 ??? impossible.. the weight was 2.6 kilo and i stated 3 kilo, they reckon it was 5.5 kilo... absolute rubbish!
they stated the rod had been sent but be aware of the correct measurement and weight as next time the parcel would be subject to a surcharge or not sent at all! charming!
as regards delivery never had a problem with 'em and they have always collected but as i said you never know when...
I haven't sent any rods with them since i had this email so we'll see what happens when i do, price wise they can't be beat so really do want to stick with them....

Phil , I got a similar E mail to this . After a bit of poking around I discovered it's some sort of scam and nothing to do with UPS . I just ignored it carried on with UPS as normal with no problem

Back