• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Headtorch warning

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Just watching Fake Britain. Seems some fake headtorches have named UltraFire batteries that have been exploding.

Worth having a check.

I managed to break my headtorch on my last session, ime looking at the new Ridgemonkey, looks pukka and no more batteries.

Apparently they are not that good either let's face it Ridge Monkey is just imported Chinese stuff. I have bought a couple of cheap ones for a few pounds which do the job. I'd bulk at paying Ridge Monkey inflated prices.

For me, I only use them to get on and off the fishery. I tend to use the dim light of my phone for rebaiting etc. For the amount of time they are actually on I don't think there is much use in rechargeables and super bright ones are also a bit of a waste. The cost of a pair of cheap stand battery ones is more than reasonable and leaves you with a back up invade you get caught out with a failure or do what I do and leave last nights in the van and not realise your head torchless till it's well and truly dark. Oops.

I have been using the new Ridge Monkey head torch & I have got to say it's been brilliant, easy to use unlike my expensive petzl which lasted one season!
Rechargeable of a usb cable which is very handy, green light so much clearer than red, very powerful light when you need it, can be put on either way with buttons on top & bottom... I could go on as you can tell l'm a fan, don't not it to you try it imo best headtorch I've had.

I have been using the new Ridge Monkey head torch & I have got to say it's been brilliant, easy to use unlike my expensive petzl which lasted one season!
Rechargeable of a usb cable which is very handy, green light so much clearer than red, very powerful light when you need it, can be put on either way with buttons on top & bottom... I could go on as you can tell l'm a fan, don't not it to you try it imo best headtorch I've had.

Had the Ridgemonkey torch since May......

Charged it once since then and that's fishing at least twice a week until Midnight. As Gareth said - Green light is much clearer, has a very powerful beam when needed, doesn't matter which way up you put it on your head, has a little gauge that tells you how much charge is left so you're not guessing or carrying batteries around......

Average delivery time from China is normally 3 weeks ( i order quite a bit :) ) just order, then forget about it till it turns up. :D

The Energizer Vision HD+ LED Headlight Hands Free Headtorch 225 Lumen Headlamp
is about as good as it gets
it has the new generation of LEDs it has a red led option and certainly bright enough and UNDER A TENNER with delivery and batterys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energizer...318939&hash=item25c444d67c:g:BBUAAOSwo4pYEZu6

Gerry, for an extra 14p, you can get an extra 75 lumens :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energizer...d=162206635644&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I bought an Energiser head torch as a spare a good few years ago, and TBH it has worked very well, more than enough light when needed, batteries seem to last forever, it is a heck of a lot lighter than my main headtorch, and as such is always the first out of the bag, cheap as chips, very reliable, amd it uses rechargeable batteries, when they eventually do run down.I have consigned my "main" head torch which cost something like £60.00, again a few years ago, to use for my beach fishing which does need something brighter TBH.

Energiser all the way for me.

Dave

Had all the usual energizer, petzl led lenser. Now use the ridge monkey. Brilliant no more batteries. light doesnt dim as charge starts to run low. Green light much brighter and easier to see with than red. Best of the lot. My mate got one the same time as me and also loves it.

Had all the usual energizer, petzl led lenser. Now use the ridge monkey. Brilliant no more batteries. light doesnt dim as charge starts to run low. Green light much brighter and easier to see with than red. Best of the lot. My mate got one the same time as me and also loves it.

SURELY ???

the red light option is far and away better than green as it does not hinder your natural night vision I mostly use my head torches on red for that very reason
and the batteries last for ages ? if your using the price of batteries to justify the extra £35 the ridge monkey light costs trust me you wont live long enough to use £35 worth of AAA batteries in an Energiser while fishing lol

I bought an Alpkit Manta a few years back, it's a brilliant headtorch, I can't find a fault with it. Perhaps a bit hungry on batteries but that's not really a problem since I discovered just how brilliant the Panasonic Enerloop Pro batteries are. As bright as I need it to be, and with a red, green and blue function as well. I wouldn't think twice about buying another.

I use a Energizer headtorch as back up - cost about £7 in Tesco, which seems fine although I've never actually needed to use it.

Back