Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 28-09-2017, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Giles View Post
SURELY ???

the red light option is far and away better than green as it does not hinder your natural night vision I mostly use my head torches on red for that very reason
and the batteries last for ages ? if your using the price of batteries to justify the extra 35 the ridge monkey light costs trust me you wont live long enough to use 35 worth of AAA batteries in an Energiser while fishing lol
Try green on a ridge monkey and then come back to me.
Not using battery cost to justify price. I obviously fish alot more than you with the i wont live long enough comment. The energiser eats batteries and dims very quickly.
Old 28-09-2017, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Gardner View Post
Try green on a ridge monkey and then come back to me.
Not using battery cost to justify price. I obviously fish alot more than you with the i wont live long enough comment. The energiser eats batteries and dims very quickly.
apologies Mathew my typing mistake it should have read .. I wont live long enough not you ( im in my 70`s ) and Carp fished for well over 50 years using head torches petzle led lenser well you name it Iv bought it apart from RMs
oh yes and found the new generation LEDs that are in the new energiser torches to be far better than the earlier ones nd small and comfy enough to sleep with it on too
Old 28-09-2017, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Giles View Post
apologies Mathew my typing mistake it should have read .. I wont live long enough not you ( im in my 70`s ) and Carp fished for well over 50 years using head torches petzle led lenser well you name it Iv bought it apart from RMs
oh yes and found the new generation LEDs that are in the new energiser torches to be far better than the earlier ones nd small and comfy enough to sleep with it on too
No problem Gerry. I was dubios of the green light but have found it excellent. Ive spent 40 quid on lensers and petzl and not been happy with them. The energizer (new ones) are good for the money but power soon drains batteries in my experience.
Old 29-09-2017, 00:04

I've always used red to protect my night vision and was led to believe that green was better for map reading (and helping to protect night vision). However, this is from the following http://www.flashlightuniversity.com/...lors-and-uses/

Red (630 nm): Red LEDs are do not appear as bright to the human eye as white LEDs. If your eyes are night vision adjusted, it’s a good idea to use a red LED to navigate your way in the dark so you don’t ruin your night vision. Red light is also great for camping if you do not want to wake your neighbors with a bright white light. Red light is the universal signal for attention, so it is a great thing to have in emergencies for signaling and safety.

Military Using Green LED
Green LEDs are useful for night vision.
Green (525 nm): Green LEDs are useful outdoors. Many hunters claim that the green light attracts deer and other wild game, and the green light will not scare away fish, deer, and other game like a bright white light will. The green LEDs also have a longer run time than many other colored LEDs.
Old 29-09-2017, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Gardner View Post
who cares get a better job or pension plan
Don't ya just despise a spoilt little rich boy, money no object.
Old 29-09-2017, 06:56

1 ridgemonkey, OR, 24 1.52 jobbies with a crap load of duracell recharchable batteries. You make your own minds up. Obviously, the spoilt little brat, with a highly paid job, and a perfect pension plan has. Not everyone has an endless pot of gold.

P.S., i would love to see such a mouthpiece, work the hours i do just to make ends meet, 70-80 hrs, every week, no days off, through no fault of my own, because of a relationship that went sour. I fight every day to save my house from reposession, for the benefit of my kids, so, if i have the choice between a 1.52, and 45.00, headtorch, yes, you can guess which one i'm taking.
Old 29-09-2017, 08:06

Derek's cheapo's work perfectly fine for me when I'm doing long bivvy sessions and can't see why I would need anything else. through the night the only times I'll use it are when I land and return a fish or to make a brew...if I was out pot holing it would be a different matter.
Old 29-09-2017, 09:07
Administrator

My Petzl purchased for a BFW Fish-in in 2002 is still working fine but is confined to my toolbox these days - only white LEDs and a stiff switch which was always hard to use in damp conditions.

Energiser with slide switch red LED one way and white LED t'other is carried as a spare - when it was my main headtorch the batteries lasted a whole season.

Energizer Vision HD+ Focus LED Headlight Hands Free Headtorch 250 Lumen Headlamp is my main one these days, but have to say that batteries don't last a whole season even though I mainly only use the red LED whilst fishing, white LED for walking back to van.
Old 29-09-2017, 09:27

Energiser HD for me,great product,bargain price and has all the features you need,used with rechargeables,brilliant
Old 29-09-2017, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Funcks View Post
Don't ya just despise a spoilt little rich boy, money no object.
Nice. Thanks for that. It was written in jest.