Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 30-09-2017, 14:46

Default Pellet feeder

Been trying out a new method to me, a pellet feeder. The Guru hybrid in-line type. Now I've had some very good successful sessions on a Stillwater, catching Carp and Bream. Would this type of feeder and 2 and 4mm pellets work in rivers?. Or would the pellets just wash away downstream leaving me with just a pellet hook bait?
Old 30-09-2017, 17:44

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that pellet feeder is the most popular method for barbel these days.
Not always the best method however.
Old 30-09-2017, 18:31

old school black caps are still best for me! just make holes bigger if wont pellets to come out faster"
Old 30-09-2017, 21:08

As you say it may not be the best way to attract fish but after nearly 46 years of river fishing, i like to try new ways to catch every now and then. I think I'll give a chance if it doesn't work then it back to my old school ways of meat and Maggots.
Old 01-10-2017, 13:02

It's devastatingly effective on the upper Lea, so much so that I now rarely use the method as it's made Barbel fishing a bit boring.
If I was trying for Barbel elsewhere it would be the method I'd use and feel very confident of catching any Barbel present.
I use a large cage feeder with 4 and 6mm Halibut pellets. Dampen down some for about an hour and use these to plug each end of the feeder, light pressure , filling up with dry pellets. Band or hair rig the hookbait on a suitable sized book. I've used anything from 6mm on a 14 up to 16mm on a 2..
Cast out and wait for the three foot twitch. Re fill the feeder at intervals to suit the conditions.
I usually touch ledger with braid mainline and can feel if there's any fish around the feeder.
Edit
Shortish nylon hooklink and as with any method works well in darkness and coloured water.
Old 01-10-2017, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Collins View Post
It's devastatingly effective on the upper Lea, so much so that I now rarely use the method as it's made Barbel fishing a bit boring.
If I was trying for Barbel elsewhere it would be the method I'd use and feel very confident of catching any Barbel present.
I use a large cage feeder with 4 and 6mm Halibut pellets. Dampen down some for about an hour and use these to plug each end of the feeder, light pressure , filling up with dry pellets. Band or hair rig the hookbait on a suitable sized book. I've used anything from 6mm on a 14 up to 16mm on a 2..
Cast out and wait for the three foot twitch. Re fill the feeder at intervals to suit the conditions.
I usually touch ledger with braid mainline and can feel if there's any fish around the feeder.
Edit
Shortish nylon hooklink and as with any method works well in darkness and coloured water.
Hi Iain ...I'd agree with all of above except I'd not say it was always a "devastating" method. It's a method that's used a hell of a lot, and catches a lot of barbel, but other methods certain have 'their own day'. One thing I would add though is.. if you wish to incorporate some chopped meat pieces into your feeder mix then I've found method type feeders much better than cage feeders. Meat particles can get stuck inside cage feeders, but it generally does add to the stickiness of the mix.. which can be an advantage in flowing water (esp with methods/'hybrids').

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice (Scooter )
Old 01-10-2017, 19:08

Try...
Roll your meat in fine crumb before putting into feeder ,
Crumb soon disapears and leaves meat room to wash out.
Just dont ram it in !

I used to push meat through a riddle and then mix with crumb , worked well.