Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 07:40

Default Rig for pellet

Hi, my post about fishing pellets in a heavy weed situation got lost in the whose good for pellet thread so i thought id start another, obviously using pellet you need to scale things down a bit rig wise but in a heavy weed scenario whats a good hooklength and hook combination bearing in mind i have to give the fish a fair bit of welly straight from the off? Thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 06:10

10" hook link nicked onto web ball of freebies, use the heavy web to allow the ball to roll into edge of the weed before it melts away a heavier lead helps to hold position close to the freebies that usually stay put in the weed roots ect.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44

Size 8 hook, 2 x 10mm elips on a hair rig. The rig I use is a combi rig with 3 to 4 feet of heavy fluoro (20lb) to a couple of inches of 12lb braid. Ideally you want to be upstreaming so that you are playing the fish downstream and away from the weed.
Old 05-10-2017, 15:10

Chris
Why do you think you need to scale down your rig to use pellet?

Anthony
If not sight fishing, how confident are you that an exposed hook on a 3 to 4 foot hook length wafting around, has not caught up in the week?
Old 05-10-2017, 15:11

sorry, meant weed not week!
Old 05-10-2017, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
10" hook link nicked onto web ball of freebies, use the heavy web to allow the ball to roll into edge of the weed before it melts away a heavier lead helps to hold position close to the freebies that usually stay put in the weed roots ect.
Seems about right John.
Old 05-10-2017, 16:48

Michael, in all honest truth I can't be sure the hook hasn't caught up in the weed. It depends on how much flow we're talking about. Tungsten putty on the fluoro just above the braid could help but in slow flows, PVA foam could be used on the hook to protect it until it settles. There are still no guarantees. In the same way, a rig cast out into any river could have the hook point buried in a twig or dead leaves could it not?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:39

similar to Johns but with lead clip, tuff coated braid, hook length threaded through bag to cover hook/clipped on quick release swivel and put a pebble in pva bag to weigh down
Old 12-10-2017, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Foster View Post
Chris
Why do you think you need to scale down your rig to use pellet?

Anthony
If not sight fishing, how confident are you that an exposed hook on a 3 to 4 foot hook length wafting around, has not caught up in the week?

Hi, my thinking to scaling down my end rig was to put a bit of subtlety into the rig as the water is gin clear and im glueing a couple of small elips pellets onto a size 12 talon tip hook and fishing in quite small holes in weed. I cant use long rigs due to the small clear areas so rightly or wrongly i was going to use 8" of drennan gravel braid attatched to said hook with a pva bag of pellet nicked onto the hook. My only concern is tangles using a braided hook link, bearing in mind the size of hook im using and the tight area im putting the bait would a combi rig using a heavyish mono/ flouro and the 12lb gravel braid combination be as effective as braid straight through? Tangles would be minimised i guess , what do you think?
Old 12-10-2017, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Thomson View Post
Hi, my thinking to scaling down my end rig was to put a bit of subtlety into the rig as the water is gin clear and im glueing a couple of small elips pellets onto a size 12 talon tip hook and fishing in quite small holes in weed. I cant use long rigs due to the small clear areas so rightly or wrongly i was going to use 8" of drennan gravel braid attatched to said hook with a pva bag of pellet nicked onto the hook. My only concern is tangles using a braided hook link, bearing in mind the size of hook im using and the tight area im putting the bait would a combi rig using a heavyish mono/ flouro and the 12lb gravel braid combination be as effective as braid straight through? Tangles would be minimised i guess , what do you think?
Chris
I think a 8 inch hook length is about right, I would use a coated braid instead of gravel braid, something like korda ntrap soft would suffice, just peel the last 2 inches above the hook, this would act like a combi rig. Add a korda anti tangle sleeve below the swivel and embed the hook into the PVA bag, or thread it through before glueing the pellets on. About as anti tangle as you could get it.