• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Milk protein baits

Chris Thomson

Hi, just wondering if there are those out there who still use milk protein baits and still find them effective compared to fishmeal types? I know cost is a massive issue for pure milk hnv, ie john bakers super milk gold, and a few years ago they were a popular choice for barbel anglers especially in the winter, just curious to know if any users of them then still use them or switched to alternatives

I've found milk protein boilies to be very effective at certain times of year - including multiple captures in a session which is a rarity on the Loddon. Now is the time ;)

John Bakers mixes can be costly but have a great track record. I'm planning on trying calf milk powder with other ingredients as hopefully I can get some from a friendly farmer. I know milk protein will often be a big draw for barbel and on the Thames, with a low density of fish, you need something to draw them!

Back