• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Do your Baits and boilies change come winter?

Jonathan Jones

just wont to know if you guys use the same boilies and bait all year round!

do you have a go to winter bait/boilie to bank you a few fish :cool:

bear in mind Jon that a lot of members on here are currently out chasing big girls whilst not at work, sometimes it takes a day or two to get a response. Myself, i use pretty much the same baits, albeit in smaller quantities than in summer. Smaller pieces of meat etc etc.

If people don't have a helpful answer they can't answer. It can also vary from location to location so it may help to be more specific. The general rule is to scale down and move away from fish meal based baits but there's no golden rule...

Can see wy this forum sucks with 100+ views and no replys!

better post on facebook for some replys :D
This forum don't suck... There's some top, well clued up
Anglers on this site, if you use the search facility you can find loads of previous posts. As for winter baits I use five different boilies I've got confidence in, used throughout the season all with matching paste.

Hi men,

Jonathan, patience could be a key sometimes , mine change slightly , but if you feel facegeek is the way forward feel free .

Hatter

Can see wy this forum sucks with 100+ views and no replys!

better post on facebook for some replys :D

Here ya go Jonathan, another reply for you, fish are no different to us, in the summer, something light and easily digestable, try hair rigging half a raddish, but come winter time, switch over to a salt n pepper sui mai. ;)

I can't recall such a generalised derogatory remark directed at the forum in all the years I've been on here. You are lucky that anyone has replied positively to such a statement. Good luck with your fishing.

Hi men

Anthony , the sort of post that would end up with days of entertainment on some of the fishing pages on facebook .

Hatter

At last a few replys! I'm just trying to keep things ticking over on the forum guys" And get some info from some of the best barbel anglers around :cool:

I can't recall such a generalised derogatory remark directed at the forum in all the years I've been on here. You are lucky that anyone has replied positively to such a statement. Good luck with your fishing.
you wonna get yourself on facebook then my friend" and you get lots of F and B" with your replys :D

Hi men ,

Jonathon , written words and the way they are put together on sites / forums can often be read in different ways , i know as iv fallen foul of it myself , things said in jest or as stone thrown in the water to see how far the ripples spred can be taken serious , and sometimes cause offence . You may see then when you say this forum "sucks" some people might be less happy to answer , although people are offering advice . If its the quick snap throw away answers and abuse/banter/abuse that goes with Facebook is what you are looking for then there are many barbel pages for you to post on .

If i was offering advice , it would be to glug , soluble liquid that many bait companies produce , and if i eas looking it would be DNA baits Evo hookbait range for a boilie hookbait , a paste covered hookbait made from striped out cheapo sausages blended with spices as a starting point . Youtube is your freind , lots of carp based vids on pimping winter baits .

Hatter

as always the art of fishing is observation and planned patience,
sometimes its patience waiting for the fish to respond, likewise its the same on the boards, members will reply if the question is put up thoughtfully but still we all have other things taking priority over immediate replies,
winter bait for me is less oil and more paste and glug

you wonna get yourself on facebook then my friend" and you get lots of F and B" with your replys :D

Depends what you say, and who you say it to Jonathan !

In answer to your original question, no i don't change my bait in winter, just it's texture, as i use paste for freebies ( and even less in volume than i usually fish over in summer ) once the temps drop into the 40's, excepting that is my hook baits, which remain the same - boiled, and covered in a paste wrap.

Regards
Ian

Back