• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What would you buy ?

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
It's my birthday coming up and I haven't a clue what to get as presents from the family. So I was thinking if they'll pooled the money I could treat myself to something really nice but that's the problem, I still can't think of anything ? So if you had say, £400 to spend, what would you get ?

Hi men,

Top of the range clothing , boots etc that will last .
From me being a carp angler really , a Deeper pro or bait boat.

Hatter

A weekend at a fishery you've always wanted to go to, B&B, couple of days fishing, nice meals afterwards.

Another fishing memory to try to recall when you're sat dribbling away in your arm chair in years to come ;-)

I'm in a similar situation with Christmas pressies so am going to ask for various angling club memberships with the promise that I'll get twelve months enjoyment out of them!

Put yourself in the draw for a weekend at Redmire Pool with a few mates . It really is a special place and in my mind the ultimate coarse fishing experience . You might not catch anything but the memory will live forever, it is a magic place

Bit of a difficult one to answer not knowing your situation. If it's a special birthday, then buy something you'll always use and remember it by. A trip to Redmire (if you're into that sort of thing) would be amazing, but at the same time if you blanked in miserable weather, you might not want to remember it for long. A bespoke rod is always a winner, but only if you need one. The Deeper Pro + is an excellent piece of kit (has inbuilt GPS so can map your venue but the contours are in metre intervals...you have been warned!) but only if you are going to make good use it. Membership of clubs as Gavin has suggested is a good one, particularly for those that require a significant lump sum in the first year. Alternatively, pay for a day's guided fishing with an expert in the field of fishing for a particular species, or instruction in how to fly fish (if you don't already know how to). A better camera (if you need one) for your trophy shots. A new set of Delkim Txi's (if you use them). Or 40kg of Mainline Boilies..... :)

For a few years now I simply get gift vouchers at Xmas and birthdays for my local tackle shop and effectively have a tab that I draw down from or have a binge,very,very handy and helps support them. On the other hand a hand-built rod is a real indulgence and arguably a decent investment( that's what I tell Mrs R)

Find your favourite picture, painting or drawing of a Barbel in its natural environment and get yourself down to a good tattooist.Job done.

some good suggestions thanks, especially Redmire, would never had thought of that one. Im fortunate to have nice gear, I do have a Gary Mills pin he made for my 50th, and I do have a few of Bob's rods and lots of Shimanos. Was thinking about a new winter suit but that ones been done to death on prior threads. Keep em coming !

Lol John, I appreciate I am very fortunate. Neil, my wife and I have been looking at properties in Herefordshire and are still seriously considering the move !

Lol John, I appreciate I am very fortunate. Neil, my wife and I have been looking at properties in Herefordshire and are still seriously considering the move !

I really thought as much, I don't blame you, perhaps you might have seen some of the offerings on daytime t.v ? Certainly the Wye Valley seems to be the place of choice at the moment, but can't think of any notable Anglers who have yet to make the move :rolleyes::p

Back