Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bean View Post
Ther's plenty of army goretex out there around that money, I went for one of these a couple of years ago and can't fault it

http://www.military1st.co.uk/1061500...ece-olive.html
Just bought one, Jason. Looks excellent quality. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-11-2017, 14:26

cheers Rich...ive bought a quite a few things from them now and very pleased but like Anthony says the spec on them doesn't compare to other waterproof stuff but that's only sales talk at the end of the day and not what it actually does on the bank when its peeing it down and your covered in mud and slime.

I've bought a lot of goretex over the years and to be honest it's good and so it should be for the money(unless army), but the my problem is I only wear it when it rains and then it tends to get very muddy as I rove a lot and then it need washing regularly and once you start doing that with goretex you just may as well be using other fabrics and just re-proof with the likes of nikwax.
Old 08-11-2017, 15:23

I have three jackets I use. A lightweight and tbh crap as anything other than a wind breaker, a shower cones through the shoulders after not long Animal camouflage one that I use for summer and autumn. Then two Karrimor ones a cheap one I got from sports direct which is a light jacket, canít fault it for about £40. The other is a 3/4 length outer that you can zip a fleece etc into that was a lot more which Iíve had for years and is a serious jacket. You can stand in a full on thunderstorm in it and be bone dry and warm.
Old 09-11-2017, 13:10

I have just taken delivery of one of the military 1st jackets which looks and feels great. Slightly shorter in the body that my other fishing jackets which is fine as long as I can find some salopettes of similar quality to complete the outfit. Anyone sourced a decent pair of salopettes? I prefer these to trousers as I always end up with cold getting in around the midriff unless I go 'bib and brace' style.

Steve
Old 09-11-2017, 19:22

Steve, which one did you get ? Also how does the size seem ?
Old 09-11-2017, 19:50

Cliff - I bought the XL from Jason's link. I'm 6'2" with a 44" chest and it's a good fit with the lining in or out. The waist tie (as far as I can tell) only works with the lining removed.
Old 09-11-2017, 19:53

thanks sounds like a L would be good for me then.
Old 09-11-2017, 20:14

On the Military first website they do give very comprehensive sizing details for each garment. Just as well because an XL size in one garment could be completely different on another.
I got an XL Helikon heavy fleece which was fine but a lightweight one XL was too small.
Old 09-11-2017, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Collins View Post
On the Military first website they do give very comprehensive sizing details for each garment. Just as well because an XL size in one garment could be completely different on another.
I got an XL Helikon heavy fleece which was fine but a lightweight one XL was too small.
Good shout Paul, yes I've noticed different makes may have different sizing charts,always best to check them. I've been buying there stuff for years massive selection and not had one complaint.
Old 09-11-2017, 22:57

Iím 6 ft 3in and relatively slim (my wife thinks otherwise) and there is plenty of room in the XL.

Still trying to source some decent salopettes.

Steve