Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 03-11-2017, 18:30
Neil Smart Neil Smart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tewkesbury, or Tucksbury !
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Richbell View Post
centre pins built in alarm. that said did use them on a night session a few weeks ago very useful for drop backs so might use them again after dark but on the lowest setting with just the light as the real indicator.
Really, a 'pin with an alarm...? good God
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-11-2017, 19:47
Dave Brooksbank's Avatar
Dave Brooksbank Dave Brooksbank is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smart View Post
The 'Bellends' ahh yes the Richard Walkers, Ivan Marks, Chris Yates, and even good old Issac managed without these hideous things.
Ivan marks was one of my idols growing up, still own a rod with his name on it that I will never part with.And I had one of the first herons. Technology, what would we do without it....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-11-2017, 20:26
Neil Smart Neil Smart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tewkesbury, or Tucksbury !
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brooksbank View Post
Ivan marks was one of my idols growing up, still own a rod with his name on it that I will never part with.And I had one of the first herons. Technology, what would we do without it....
I too had an Ivan Marks float rod, long gone now though... but where would we be without technology?

Very good question, but as far as Angling is concerned does technology really improve the fishing experience? We do rather complicate things don't we with everything, from rigs to bait, of course the tackle manufacturers are not complaining, but I really enjoy just the simple ways of going about this fishing thing.
But I am an old 'fart.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-11-2017, 21:19
Gerry Giles's Avatar
Gerry Giles Gerry Giles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hillingdon Uxbridge
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smart View Post
The 'Bellends' ahh yes the Richard Walkers, Ivan Marks, Chris Yates, and even good old Issac managed without these hideous things.
LMAO. Really maybe you should do some research and find out just who made the first pre Heron alarms and who helped the design
A bit alarm is just a tool to indicate a bite get over yourself lol
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-11-2017, 21:37
Jason Bean Jason Bean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 472
Default

Well the “bite” alarm is certainly living up to its name
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-11-2017, 22:08
Graham Young's Avatar
Graham Young Graham Young is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Old Arley home of the crows
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Giles View Post
LMAO. Really maybe you should do some research and find out just who made the first pre Heron alarms and who helped the design
A bit alarm is just a tool to indicate a bite get over yourself lol

Yes Gerry and a certain Mr Taylor also took advantage of his mates ingenuity
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-11-2017, 23:43
Neil Smart Neil Smart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tewkesbury, or Tucksbury !
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Giles View Post
LMAO. Really maybe you should do some research and find out just who made the first pre Heron alarms and who helped the design
A bit alarm is just a tool to indicate a bite get over yourself lol
Blimey you don't half fly off the handle.
I will concede some use the things on Ponds, but it's the Rivers that they have crept on to, that is an issue with some. I suppose DW would have bulked at the idea of using them on Rivers, fine for an alarm when dozing in a Bivvy, I suppose, but you can't beat the old wrap round, it's the very essence of what makes Barbel fishing what it is, you should try it
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-11-2017, 23:51
Bob Watson Bob Watson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockton on Tees
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smart View Post
Blimey you don't half fly off the handle.
I will concede some use the things on Ponds, but it's the Rivers that they have crept on to, that is an issue with some. I suppose DW would have bulked at the idea of using them on Rivers, fine for an alarm when dozing in a Bivvy, I suppose, but you can't beat the old wrap round, it's the very essence of what makes Barbel fishing what it is, you should try it
Fishing is many different things to many different people. Imposing your way of doing what is right is kind of snobbish.

Some like to wear a floppy hat, some a baseball cap, live and let live and all that
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-11-2017, 00:40
Neil Smart Neil Smart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tewkesbury, or Tucksbury !
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Watson View Post
Fishing is many different things to many different people. Imposing your way of doing what is right is kind of snobbish.

Some like to wear a floppy hat, some a baseball cap, live and let live and all that
ONLY snobs where floppy hats
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-11-2017, 01:02
Bob Watson Bob Watson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockton on Tees
Posts: 208
Default

Wear do they where them??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.