• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Very cheap bite alarms at Sports Direct

I picked up one a couple of months back when I went into my Cheltenham store, I feel so out of place in these stores, whatever happened to Burtons? Anyway never used one before in my life and I still never have, good to go though c/w PP3 battery just in case I feel the need. :)

I don't think you should be promoting bite alarms on a barbel forum! Can't stand hearing the bloody things on a river

I'm not a lover of noise when I'm fishing, but c'mon ...................

this is not a exclusively barbel website, it has stuff that'll help whomever whether one agrees or not :)

I don't think you should be promoting bite alarms on a barbel forum! Can't stand hearing the bloody things on a river

what a selfish snobby attitude ? I find your comments beyond pathetic

A dry sense of humour is normally followed up by a ;) or a :rolleyes:

I got the impression that it was a bit of an extreme statement, but the written word on a forum can be misjudged. :confused:

Me too,I agree entirely but still use a bite alarm on the river.I have a couple of Fox micron mx+ alarms which are excellent and reasonably priced.

I have the volume turned to very low so anyone else would struggle to hear it,it also has a toggle on/off switch for when you are setting it up.

Most of the time I fish with them switched off,only switching them on when I'm doing something like pouring a coffee,sorting some tackle out or answering a call of nature.

Yeah maybe should have followed it up with a face!
It does baffle me when folk sit there in broad daylight staring at their rods with alarms on full blast though.

Buy cheap buy twice....wifey bought me a pair of Dragon Crap alarms a few years ago, both failed on the first outing, got my money back.

Never use alarms on rivers myself, and only have had bad experiences with others using them on rivers, guys three swims down with volume up high, continually resetting them when weed etc set them off .

Used responsibly they are fine, but some feckwits have not got a clue.

Dave

I use alarms for pretty much all of my fishing, float excepted of course. They are turned down to a level that doesn't disturb anyone else in the immediate area and are mostly a back up in case my attention is diverted by any number of things, bank walkers chatting, bird activity, a thousand and one things can divert your attention away from your rod tips or bobbins.

centre pins built in alarm. that said did use them on a night session a few weeks ago very useful for drop backs so might use them again after dark but on the lowest setting with just the light as the real indicator.

Well over 50 years ago they bought out a Heron bite alarm I bought ONE as in those days only fished one rod I was so chuffed when I setup on Cutmill pond Farnham fishing my free lined spud couple of hours later a large bearded bloke came up to me and started ranting and raving That’s not Angling !!! Your cheating using an electric indicator he really was angry funny how times change eh ? Oh and a few more years go by and we started to use hemp loads of clubs BANNED hemp as it was drugging the fish !! Yes funny how times change we still have bellends in fishing lol ad yes only I can hear my alarms as the heads are turned down and my receiver hangs round my neck 25 years of working next to running jet engines has taken its toll

Well over 50 years ago they bought out a Heron bite alarm I bought ONE as in those days only fished one rod I was so chuffed when I setup on Cutmill pond Farnham fishing my free lined spud couple of hours later a large bearded bloke came up to me and started ranting and raving That’s not Angling !!! Your cheating using an electric indicator he really was angry funny how times change eh ? Oh and a few more years go by and we started to use hemp loads of clubs BANNED hemp as it was drugging the fish !! Yes funny how times change we still have bellends in fishing lol ad yes only I can hear my alarms as the heads are turned down and my receiver hangs round my neck 25 years of working next to running jet engines has taken its toll

The 'Bellends' ahh yes the Richard Walkers, Ivan Marks, Chris Yates, and even good old Issac managed without these hideous things. :rolleyes:

Back