• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baiting Campaign?

Hello All,

I know that the more experienced Carp lads will carry out campaigns on the lakes they fish. It seems to work with great success as carp have great memories and will remember where they find bait.

I was wondering can the same be applied to Barbel, can't think of a reason why not.

Has anyone here carried out a campaign? If so, what were the results?

Thanks

Daniel

Hello All,

I know that the more experienced Carp lads will carry out campaigns on the lakes they fish. It seems to work with great success as carp have great memories and will remember where they find bait.

I was wondering can the same be applied to Barbel, can't think of a reason why not.

Has anyone here carried out a campaign? If so, what were the results?

Thanks

Daniel

Wild fish swimming in a River?;)

Daniel
Go into the Articles Section and have a read through Targeting Bigger Barbel by Ian Grant and The Baiting Pyramid by Mike Wilson. There's some very interesting stuff on it.

Cheers
Mark

Keith Speer and Mike Wilson did a baiting campaign to move the Barbel from a hard to reach/fish snaggy weirpool to an easier to fish downstream location.
Keith wrote about it, pretty sure it's on here somewhere.
Maple peas and then maggots were involved.

Thank you for the content guys.

I've actually met Mike a few times, we seem to fish similar stretches.

EDIT: Think ive bumped into Ian also... small world!

Baiting campaigns do work but you must use a bait that has been successful with barbel before.Do not just feed with any old bait because some work better than others,(been there and done it after reading about a fantastic bait} Its also a bit late in the year to be starting when the fish are slowing down and cutting back on eating, you might end up over feeding your fish and not catching them.Also beware that nuisance fish like Bream can eat all your bait and the Barbel might not get a look in.Go large 30mm baits if you have bream issues. I have done very well spreading a kilo over a 3 or 4 swims every other day on small rivers but you need to be careful not to kill other anglers fishing the same sections sport and getting a bad reputation.

Do baiting campaigns for barbel work! In a word yes. 95% of my barbel fishing is on the Thames, the barbel can be very nomadic and move over large distances. They can spend time in areas that you cannot fish such as weir pools, so its an advantage to bait an area that you think they will pass through. I bait up with boilies ( chop ups) and hemp. Hemp is the key as bream can eat boilies quicker than my labrador, so they will not get every grain. I use big baits ( water temp allowing) and use a long hair with a loop in it so you can use two boilies ( i use 20mm) and have a gap between them, they can get one in but not both. Its hard work making your own bait and baiting up every other day but the rewards are there. A few years ago we had 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's a 17 and the then Thames record of just over 18 plus lots of big chub to well over 7. As i said it is hard work and we still do it but we are both mad.

Do baiting campaigns for barbel work! In a word yes. 95% of my barbel fishing is on the Thames, the barbel can be very nomadic and move over large distances. They can spend time in areas that you cannot fish such as weir pools, so its an advantage to bait an area that you think they will pass through. I bait up with boilies ( chop ups) and hemp. Hemp is the key as bream can eat boilies quicker than my labrador, so they will not get every grain. I use big baits ( water temp allowing) and use a long hair with a loop in it so you can use two boilies ( i use 20mm) and have a gap between them, they can get one in but not both. Its hard work making your own bait and baiting up every other day but the rewards are there. A few years ago we had 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's a 17 and the then Thames record of just over 18 plus lots of big chub to well over 7. As i said it is hard work and we still do it but we are both mad.

Thanks for that insight into targeting low density nomadic populations. Do you use lots of hemp or simply keep it available?

Hi Stephen, As i said hemp is the key. We use lots of it and mix it 50 50 with pigeon conditioner. You can use a bait dropper or spod when no flow and shallow or mix it with ground bait and use a catapult. A shoal of Thames bream will get through kilos of boilies in no time, so using hemp will mean there is some bait for the barbel. We have found if you start catching bream the barbel will follow. some of our captures after baiting up will happen as soon as you start fishing. I always think that barbel caught well into dark are fish that are moving through the area, as they have eaten all the food in the area they were in and were on the look out for food. Send me a pm if you want a chat. Paul.

Paul, no use starting a prebaiting program in low temperatures mate, try around mid february the temps should be better mate

I agree. Its a bit late in the season but some of our best catches came as the first frosts arrive, they know they need to eat as it may be their last chance for some time. Mr Robb and i will start again when he returns from his five weeks in Spain, weather permitting.

Thanks Graham, How is the Wye fishing? Had a few trips there this season and caught a good number up to nine pounds. Its nice to fish a river with a bit of flow. The Thames has produced good number of barbel so far and rumours are saying there has been a monster of over twenty out but you know what the rumour mill is like. Tight lines Paul.

Back