• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter targets

Jason Oldfield

Hi all I’m new to the forum and fairly new to the barbelling. I’m thinking of doing a lot more river fishing over the next few years to break the monotony of carping. I’ve done a few sessions recently and have had a few nice barbel up to 7lb or so, but as winters rolling round I’m just wondering if people still fish for the barbel all the way through or do people tend just fish for whatever’s biting to get a bend in the rod. I had a good few blanks last winter (still better than being stuck indoors). But I’ve got a better idea of swims etc this year so on the milder days I’m hoping to at least be in with a better chance this year.

I practice almost every aspect of the sport so just move with the seasons rather than fishing for barbel all season. I get just as much enjoyment from a January cod as I do a July barbel.

Not many Cod in Ross on Wye....but perch pike roach chub and grayling to target.

Then back to barbel at top weights Feb and March given decent weather.

I never Jack it in. I love fishing for barbel throughout, and so often I don't see a sole, but then again I often (if I'm lucky :)) don't see a sole anyway. You can't catch sitting at home.

Temperature tendency is probably more important than a specific temperature. Temperature rising a few degrees in mid-winter can often trigger a feeding spell just as a cold flush in mid-summer can often knock them off the feed.

When the river temp falls below 43 f and water is clear I switch over to the float or feeder fishing. During periods of high pressure and low water I would continue fishing this method any increases in temp even was as low as 40f and rising you still have a channce of Barbel on the feeder although if targeteding them step the gear up 7 pound bottom line with a size 14 hook. After a prolonged long cold spell low pressure heavy rain that's the time to bait a few swims and fish as soon the river starts to fine down.

I tend to only have Saturdays to fish on the river unless it’s the Dane which is local to me. So if I go to the Severn which is where I’ve done any barbel fishing so far it’s an hour and half’s drive so other than checking the levels the night before i kind of just go and hope for the best. I think I might just start taking the float rod as well.

Usually I tend to fish to conditions, as the conditions at the time will probably dictate what species would be most likley to feed.

Winter, as already stated, I dont target Barbel when the water is "cold" but a mild spell with a decent river level will see me on the river using Maggots as they always seem to work well in that scenario, a cold day/night will see me on a beach after Cod, dependent upon tide /wind/swell and location, a cold day, any conditions, rain, wind or just cold and still, even with ice on the banks will see me after Pike in any one of a number of Reservoirs.

Chub are always there when the river is clear and cold..as are Grayling, or Roach.

So many variations always something to do.

Dave

Back