• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New uk record barbel ??

Mark P Smith

As is normal at this time of the season rumours of a new UK barbel record surface this time its the Thames { a river that should do it } and 21lb 10oz BUT there seems to be a publicty blackout again.
rumours are just that until they are backed up with hard proof but aye its a great ploy to get more anglers on the water.

This rumoured fish was mentioned recently in the Anglers Mail, they said it was caught by a Carp angler . I remember a few years rumblings of a 23 lb + barbel from the Trent , nothing concrete transpired .....

I heard about this rumour a month ago. If any river is going to do it the lower Thames would be my bet.

Most of the lower Thames reaches get fished regularly and the big fish come out multiple times in a season on the popular stretches. I'd be surprised if one of them had grown to national record proportions without popping up on the grapevine.
That said there is likely a fish or two which might make 18lbs after a feast up and get close to the TAC Thames record which is held by a fish from the middle reaches. There's a good number of reaches above the lower Thames which are seldom frequented and a big one might go undetected for a good while.

Will try a take a peek in the Angling Times and see what the story is.

Stephen

I was told about the 21:10 about a month ago by a very reliable source who said it was caught by a carp angler. No photos as of yet could be true but who knows. Have seen the photo of the 19:1 and its big. He caught the same fish early this year at just over 17. With the Thames you never know. There are so many secret squirrels fishing it for carp, could do a fifty this season if it has not already. I for one will be trying to catch a 20lb barbel from it in the coming months. P.S. one of the founder members of the Oxford branch of the secret squirrel club.

ummm i`m always a bit sceptical of carp anglers cliams for other fish weights having seen known fish claimed at very different weight to its last catch when caught within a few days.

Back