• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

And I thought wellies were just wellies....

Haydn Clarke

Senior Member & Supporter
So it's getting near Christmas and my other half has asked me for a few pointers. I've never had a decent pair of wellies, having just used good walking boots previously, but now I think I'd like to get a pair.

Knowing nothing, but with the faint recollection that Muckboots seem to be well received, I decided to take a look at their website. Chuffin bloody Nora! Four sodding pages of the damned things: Colt Ryders, Edgewaters, Muckmasters; low, mid and Hi, if you please , Arctic Outposts, Wetlands, Woody Maxes, blahdy, blahdy, blah.

I know a few of you on here have Muckboots so I was looking for a recomendation and which of the above would be a best choice? To be used mainly for fishing, semi static, and also for a bit of short distance walking along the river etc.

I use a pair of Barbour Neoprene lined wellies..very comfortable, good for walking and fairly warm, not for sub-zero tho, & not the cheapest! but much better than the Hunter boots they replaced.
Have a look at the John Norris website for some decent bargains....

Andy

I have a pair of Woody Max Muck boots and they are lovely and warm worn with a good pair of socks. If you are going to be walking a lot in them I really like the Le Chameau boots, they are pricey but last for ages.

This is all quite subjective but I shall be interested to read the replies. I have an as yet unused pair of Muck Masters. A mate wears a pair and last week said his feet were just about ok in cold conditions which I would say were probably an air temperature of 1 or 2C.

I was out in similar conditions earlier that week in walking boots, static fishing and my feet were very cold. A matchman was reminding me in the good old days he used to take a piece of carpet with him to put under his feet for winter leagues. Does/did anyone ever do that?

The danger of recommending a product that we as individuals own is obvious. I guess we would have to field test most brands before having a best buy, buu I can say that my Arctic Muckboots tick all the boxes for me. They were on offer as a huge discount a few months back and put up on here, a few BFW members snapped them up.

They feel like a real boot, not a welly, comfy to wear have very good grip, I can testify with the steep walk I have to endure on my local River. Of course keep feet warm and not too overbearing on warmer days.

I have a pair of Woody Max Muck boots and they are lovely and warm worn with a good pair of socks. If you are going to be walking a lot in them I really like the Le Chameau boots, they are pricey but last for ages.

I purchased a pair of Le Chameau Vizornords and they lasted over well over 10 years and they get a lot of hammer at work. Brilliant wellies, warm, comfortable and durable - I didn’t think twice about replacing them with the same despite the cost as they had proved v.good value for money. Really disappointed with the new ones, both buckles constantly fall off, they don’t fit as well (despite being same model and size) and they are wearing much quicker. Won’t be buying Le Chameau again - they seem to have gone the same way as Brasher.

This is all quite subjective but I shall be interested to read the replies. I have an as yet unused pair of Muck Masters. A mate wears a pair and last week said his feet were just about ok in cold conditions which I would say were probably an air temperature of 1 or 2C.

I was out in similar conditions earlier that week in walking boots, static fishing and my feet were very cold. A matchman was reminding me in the good old days he used to take a piece of carpet with him to put under his feet for winter leagues. Does/did anyone ever do that?

I rest my feet on my unhooking mat in really cold weather - it seems to work.

That's a neat idea Joe. Sad to read the comment about Brasher. My partner and I swear by their boots. Ours are over 15 years old supremely comfortable and still doing the business.

Incidentally I bought the Muckboots to replace a pair of standard Barbour wellies bought about 25 years ago. They are IMO good to walk in as they grip your ankle but after that inordinate period of time the rubber granulated and cracked on the outer sides where they flex above the ankle so they are no longer water proof over a couple of inches. They hardly owe me anything though and they do not keep feet warm for static fishing

Muckboot arctic sports are the ones to get. I've always suffered from cold feet in the winter but not since I got a pair. Don't even need extra socks.
Coming up 3 years now and no obvious wear. Used at least twice a week.

That's a neat idea Joe. Sad to read the comment about Brasher. My partner and I swear by their boots. Ours are over 15 years old supremely comfortable and still doing the business.

Incidentally I bought the Muckboots to replace a pair of standard Barbour wellies bought about 25 years ago. They are IMO good to walk in as they grip your ankle but after that inordinate period of time the rubber granulated and cracked on the outer sides where they flex above the ankle so they are no longer water proof over a couple of inches. They hardly owe me anything though and they do not keep feet warm for static fishing

Rob,

I bet both you and your wife have Brasher Hillmasters...I had a pair they were legendary walking boots, I left mine behind in a car park...grrrr. Went to replace them with the same or updated Hillmasters and was advised by the bloke in the shop to avoid Brasher they had been taken over by Berghaus, and the build quality had declined markedly and they were getting a lot of returns in the shop. I went for a pair of Meindl on his recommendation and I'm glad I did. Time will tell if they are as durable as the old Brasher Hillmasters but they are the last word in comfort.

Rob,

I bet both you and your wife have Brasher Hillmasters...I had a pair they were legendary walking boots, I left mine behind in a car park...grrrr. Went to replace them with the same or updated Hillmasters and was advised by the bloke in the shop to avoid Brasher they had been taken over by Berghaus, and the build quality had declined markedly and they were getting a lot of returns in the shop. I went for a pair of Meindl on his recommendation and I'm glad I did. Time will tell if they are as durable as the old Brasher Hillmasters but they are the last word in comfort.

I finally had to bin my fellmasters, best boots I’ve ever had. They just started to split on the toe crease sadly. That said they were about 15-20 years old. I too was told they aren’t the same anymore.

Haydn.. I'm quite sceptical of many of these boots that cost an arm & a leg..and have bought a fair load of rubbish over the years. Most are far from 'maintenance free). But two years ago I bought a pair of 'Crane' neoprene wellies from Aldi (<£20) and have worn them for nearly every fishing trip, when not wading, since then (well over 100 sessions). I've worn them today, and I still love them.

Terry. You just beat me to it.

Snap. Warm and light. And cheap!

Yep, bomb-proof. I used to get soaking wet socks on blue-skyed summer mornings walking through dewy grass with expensive hi-tech 'waterproof' boots on.

Job done, it's a good 'un.

I have a pair of Grubs Snowline 8.7 boots (neoprene wellies really) with a good sole and ideal in freezing conditions but....

Like many boots of this type, their grip is useless on mud-covered steep banks when it's wet.

Secondly, if your feet sweat a lot, your socks will get wet. Forget the special lining wicking the perspiration if, as I do, you have your waterproof overtrousers over the boots. This having been said, your feet (and calves) will still be warm. As the army lads on here have pointed out in other threads, take a spare pare of socks to change into once you are settled in your peg.

Finally, they are not cheap.

I got a pair of these last year after a tip off on here - https://www.homeandcountry.com/muck-boots-arctic-excursion-lace-tall-green-11817-p.asp

They have been absolutely brilliant! I always suffered from cold feet no matter how many pairs of thermal socks I would wear but now I just wear these with a 'normal' pair of socks.

I haven't used them in the snow or anything like that but have sat out until it's cold enough for my landing net to freeze to the grass and my feet have still been warm.

Highly recommend!

Indeed, the Muckboots arctic sports have some sort of his tech wicking lining. My feet sweat A LOT but never any sign of dampness, even after a long walk.

Back