• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ebay madness

Chris Jones

I quite like my old Japanese Stradic 3000/4000s. As mine are almost redundant I tend to keep an eye on the prices that they go for on Ebay. Usually it's around the fifty quid mark, sometimes up to around seventy five. However, what on earth is going on here?:eek:
Am I missing something, are they suddenly desirable again?

For that sort of money I'd part with mine. You could guarantee that I'd get a whole thirty quid for mine if I put them on.:(;):D

I quite like my old Japanese Stradic 3000/4000s. As mine are almost redundant I tend to keep an eye on the prices that they go for on Ebay. Usually it's around the fifty quid mark, sometimes up to around seventy five. However, what on earth is going on here?:eek:

For that sort of money I'd part with mine. You could guarantee that I'd get a whole thirty quid for mine if I put them on.:(;):D

£120 :eek:....mind you, the other one of the pair is not doing so well...it's only up to £117 :D

Cheers, Dave.

EBay

I can't make head nor tail over the prices that some kit is fetching on EBay. Is it that people are waking up to the fact that some of the older kit was better made or is it that some of the old retro is now collectable? I suspect that the bubble will burst at some point. Might be a good time to rummage around and get the RW Mk1V, the mint Kevlar and that Ming vase on EBay.

Possibly another shill bidding job as it's only the standard stradic. I have one of the stradic x, which are slightly more desirable. I also have an even rarer stradic x gtmh which is the higher speed version and was never sold here in blighty. Absolutely fantastic reels and neither are for sale as I believe shimano do not make reels as good as these ones now.

Last edited:
Probably another shill bidding job as it's only the standard stradic. I have one of the stradic x, which are slightly more desirable. I also have an even rarer stradic x gtmh which is the higher speed version and was never sold here in blighty. Absolutely fantastic reels and neither are for sale as I believe shimano do not make reels as good as these ones now.

Haydn,
interesting that you think the newer Stradic X are more desirable. I'd not swap the original Japanese Stradics for any of the newer versions even if I don't believe they are worth as much as the two selling for daft money currently.;)

Chris, who said anything about newer stradics? Mine are the old ones matey, none of that nasty gangsta-rap gilded bling for me. The stradic x was a b'day present from my dad some 14 or 15 years ago. I bought the gtmh, one of three for what now seems a remarkably cheap £120 for two new and one second hand reels which I divid' up with friends. A right result, from a short time back when such things were still possible. If prices carry in like this I'll be calling lloyds of London to quite for my insurance. Crazy money.

Haydn,
I meant newer as in newer than the linked Stradic. As far as I'm aware the Stradic X came after the Stradic linked. I seem to recall buying mine in the early nineties. I have been known to be wrong though.;)

So have I Chris... Splitting hairs either way but I think you'll find that the x's were slighty better built(the Twin Power even more so, IIRC). They certainly seem that way to me compared to my pals stradic. They are more metallic to the casing and much smoother gearing. I'll put up a picture of both the types I have as soon as I get a chance.

The Chairman on Tuesday

The bidding stupidity for a few pieces of quite nice at the time fishy eggwhisk hardware will seem as nothing when my Lady Guides put some of their personal items - er, software - up on Ebay soon. Asked me for some ad spiel, the lovely lasses did. I suggested like "...worn and sometimes discarded on the banks of the timeless Hamster in the presence of that scion of Angling and Fairness, B. Beecham...".

Can't wait, as I'll be bidding myself!

As ever,

B.B.

I sent a stradic 4000 to felindre last year for a service.One of the service engineers rang me to tell me that a plastic widget inside was well worn and that they no longer made replacements,a common problem,so he said.He reckoned i'd get another season out of it.

Maybe not an issue if it's destined for a collectors cabinet.

Felindre

I sent a stradic 4000 to felindre last year for a service.One of the service engineers rang me to tell me that a plastic widget inside was well worn and that they no longer made replacements,a common problem,so he said.He reckoned i'd get another season out of it.

Maybe not an issue if it's destined for a collectors cabinet.

I've had similar responses from Felindre. It seems crackers that great reels are consigned to cabinets because of a tupenney halfpeeny washer. Surely, it wouldn't be that difficult for someone with a bit of engineering nous to knock these bits up.

i'm actually tempted too put my high speed one on ebay (with its spare spools) ,but not sure if its the right aged stradic x gtmh ,as i aint used it in three years.

DSCF1664.jpg

i don't know if its the origanal version as i never brought it ,i won it in a game of poker in 2004 (kings over aces beating queens over eights) but i could easily check as i know a few match anglers who'd know .

i supose i could sell it and put the money towards something i might actually use .

Well shiver me timbers Steven. That looks to me like a GTMH indeed. You are the only other person who I have come across that ownes one. Even if you google Stradic x gtmh there is precious little that comes up, and what does either comes of being previously mentioned on here or on japanese or continental European sites. They are much rarer than the standard Stradic x. I really like mine, as it has the retrieval of a bigger reel but whilst still being relatively small and lightweight.

mine i've only used a half dozen times feeder fishing in matches ,the guy who lost it had two ,i did feel a little guilty about it (for about a minuet) ,as i was bluffing and sharking the others pretending i didn't know how too play poker or what hands was what ,but he know what he was doing & you souldn't gamble what you can't afford too lose .i didn't know it was rare just faster than the usual model ,like a mitchel 410 over a 300.

I have a pair of these. Lovely reels. Use them for light feeder fishing where i do it (once in a blue moon) but more often (and more enjoyably) for my winter chubbing, paired with a Whisper River and Stream rod, with a soft, light glass quiver tip. Superb reels. Wouldn't sell mine.

Saw the silly prices Stradics were going for 18 months ago and serviced all mine, 1000,2000,4000 fe's and 1000,3000,4000 gtm's got an average of over 70 for them each with the 4000fe reaching £122, I only paid £75 for it new. Replaced them all with two 2500 and two 3500 daiwa procaster x front drag reels and had £100 left , result! Still don't think the new ones are a patch on the original Stradics. Still have a 8000fe aero which was a stradic biomaster from the japanese Market that I managed to get 4 spare spools and some bail springs for before they were not available anymore. Cracking reel for spinning, controller float and surface stalking as it has a brilliant drag.

One of my Stradics went all the way to California!!!

That Stradic X went for £143, rather them than me....

Back