• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

J.W.Young rods

Wayne Laws

Has anyone has anyone bought any of the new young rods, I.e. trotter, Avon. Seem good value on eBay. Opinions
eagerly anticipated

Has anyone has anyone bought any of the new young rods, I.e. trotter, Avon. Seem good value on eBay. Opinions
eagerly anticipated

I bought a new RW 11' meat rod as a job lot in the summer, but not on eBay, havn't used it yet, seems a nice thin blank with the action you would expect. Chris Fox I know uses the same and he catches OK.
I have had many a 'punt' on these rods on eBay, but never 'won' one as yet, I suppose I need to know, as you do, a bit more about the rods.

i own one of the jw young 13ft trotters had it for about 12months, there a nice rod, good action my only gripe is that my centre pin when in the reel seat wobble about and move slightly as do 2 other fixed spool reels i own.
cheers
jerry

i own one of the jw young 13ft trotters had it for about 12months, there a nice rod, good action my only gripe is that my centre pin when in the reel seat wobble about and move slightly as do 2 other fixed spool reels i own.
cheers
jerry

I understand they have changed the real seats because of this problem Jerry, my seat has Rover marked on it:cool: Perhaps Ray Walton could be the man to ask for advice, or perhaps Masterline could help?

I have bought both the barbel/Avon rod and the Ray Walton.

Expect to pay around £50-£60 for the Avon and £40 - £50 for the Ray Walton.

The largest seller of these rods on eBay sold me both, but I waited to pay below the estimates above to get it at the right price.......check out the P&P as they vary it at £4.99,£9.99 or £11.95.

As for the rods they are well finished, the Ray Walton is very slim and light...what it was designed for.

The Avon is rather a robust looking bit of kit and comes with a second tip with a spliced quiver rated at 3oz but looks more like 5oz +

Both come in a rod bag and protective cordura tube, for the money I paid you can't go wrong.

The RRP is a little ambitious at around £189.99 although some places sell near this price I would look at them as good £100 rods.

I asked the same question in the thread below

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/showthread.php?p=42505#post42505

Last edited:
eagerly anticipated

I have a Youngs Avon and a Youngs Margin Carp rod, they are well made and excellent for the money you pay if you buy them on ebay at £40-£60 as has been suggested. Masterline customer service is pretty good in my experience so spare parts or replacement sections shouldn't be a problem.

I own one of the jw young 13ft trotters had it for about 12months, there a nice rod, good action my only gripe is that my centre pin when in the reel seat wobble about and move slightly as do 2 other fixed spool reels i own.
cheers
jerry

Jerry, I had the same problem with my Youngs Avon rod, it's fine with my Purist Centrepin but fixed spool reels wobble a little. I got round this problem by folding some newspaper perhaps 4 or 5 times into a rectangular shape roughly the same size as the reel seat. I trap the newspaper between the reel seat and the rod, then screw the handle down to secure the reel. There is no wobble as the folded newspaper fills the gap between reel seat and rod eliminating the wobble.

Sam

Last edited:
I have a stepped up float rod that I couple with a centrepin when fishing the margins of a local pit. It has handled carp up to low doubles with no problem at all. A nice rod to handle and use. Good value at around £50 off ebay.

Steve

I have a Youngs 13' Specimen Float Rod and have landed many carp up to 15ib on it with a pin and 6-8lb line. handles very nicely and very good value. I have heard these rods criticised before but haven't found a fault except for the reel seat which is too tight to fit one of my centre pins on. Other than that, a great rod.

I understand they have changed the real seats because of this problem Jerry, my seat has Rover marked on it:cool: Perhaps Ray Walton could be the man to ask for advice, or perhaps Masterline could help?

I have done this before but it has been lost in the old archives.
The 'Original' J.W Young's Rods all had the same fittings on the handles which had a wooden/metal screw down fitting. These original fittings did not fit all reels (including some J.W Young's own Centre pins), although they did fit a good majority of other makes. Basically, the fitting was not universal.
I highlighted this problem to Masterline/J.W Young and they made up and issued a pack of 'Shims' to some tackle dealers in case the problem arose locally with some reels not fitting properly or you could contact Masterline to send you some.
When the second consignment of rods were made, the handle was re-designed with a new universal fitting (Fugi type screw up) which rectified the problem.
Obviously, there are still some first versions of the rods with the original fittings on the market/ebay/etc. Hope this helps.

The RRP is a little ambitious at around £189.99 although some places sell near this price I would look at them as good £100 rods.

Someone's having a laugh Alan, the RRP for J.W.Young rods is £79.99 including the Avon, Rays model and all the float rods.The only exceptions are the Barbel and Travel Barbel models which retail at £99.99

Masterline did list them at the RRP high price in one catalogue a while ago and then dropped it in the next one. It seems that some shops bought them in at the higher price at the time and are listing them as such.

Someone's having a laugh Alan, the RRP for J.W.Young rods is £79.99 including the Avon, Rays model and all the float rods.The only exceptions are the Barbel and Travel Barbel models which retail at £99.99

Hi Nigel as Ray say's you will see them quoted at that the older higher RRP for example

http://www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/product.php/29099/w-young-1lb-6oz-ray-walton-11ft-8-10lb-6oz-2pc

oposed to the revised one you mention, besides that they are very nice rods for the money.

Hi Nigel as Ray say's you will see them quoted at that the older higher RRP for example

http://www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/product.php/29099/w-young-1lb-6oz-ray-walton-11ft-8-10lb-6oz-2pc

oposed to the revised one you mention, besides that they are very nice rods for the money.

I've just checked back through our old trade catelogues and those prices haven't been valid for over two years. ;)

Blimey, Summerlands are taking the proverbial there! Claiming that you are saving £38 when you are actually paying £72 over the RRP!

Last edited:
I've just checked back through our old trade catelogues and those prices haven't been valid for over two years. ;)

Blimey, Summerlands are taking the proverbial there! Claiming that you are saving £38 when you are actually paying £72 over the RRP!

Your not kidding, the ebay sellers even dropped the old price RRP in comparison.....wonder if it is the older version with the old seat that no one wants at that price too.

Heres another

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15170

I supose if they bought these two years ago and the cost price was much higher, it's not exactly great business from Masterline to have an RRP of £190 then two years later reduce the RRP by 50%+, the cost price must be adjusted accordingly too.

Anyway I got the Barbel and the Ray Walton for £85 the pair so I am not complaining.

Back