• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otter e-petition

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
I beleive that E petitions are printed out directly into the House of commons toilets in a lovely neat roll in the cubicles. Waste of time!

Oh Dear!

Think we should cull the author, comes over as a self serving carp angler I am afraid, although I think the Otter population is a concern I won't be signing that.

Maybe a more suitable and grammatical e-petition could be prepared by someone on BFW?

Not offering my services though as there are Anglers with more standing and a better grasp of "that there English than me."

Just a thought.

Perhaps the government can introduce a campaign to get otters, sorry OTTERS to eat nuisance fish like chub, or maybe suggest that if they had two non fish days a week they would reduce their chances of annoying carp anglers. Governments are good at offering this kind of advice.

A well-balanced, reasonable argument - Not!

Not the most persuasive or intellectual petition ever written!

I've got to agree with you there Alex :(

However it would only take 100,000 anglers to sign, which would force a debate in parliment, if that happened it would be the furthest this issue has ever constructively got to.

An awful lot has gone unsaid in that petition, but i suspect that the writer possibly didn't want to write a long drawn out spiel that the general public wouldn't read, and maybe thought anglers who were onside anyway would hopefully sign, i think his biggest mistake was directly asking for a cull, instead of just simply asking for a debate in parliment on the problem.

Regards
Ian.

There are a few creatures that the British public hold in high esteem and otters are one of them. If farmers can't get badgers culled to prevent Bovine TB how can anglers expect the public to agree to a cull Tarka to preserve fat mollycoddled pet fish?

Hi men,

So it's just the last line that's the problem then , so if that was changed in some way to include river species , and not cull it would get more support ?.

Hatter

I've got to agree with you there Alex :(

However it would only take 100,000 anglers to sign, which would force a debate in parliment, if that happened it would be the furthest this issue has ever constructively got to.

An awful lot has gone unsaid in that petition, but i suspect that the writer possibly didn't want to write a long drawn out spiel that the general public wouldn't read, and maybe thought anglers who were onside anyway would hopefully sign, i think his biggest mistake was directly asking for a cull, instead of just simply asking for a debate in parliment on the problem.

Regards
Ian.

I get your point Ian and the word "cull" is going to send a shiver down any MPs spine unless it relates to the opposition party.

But you are right, initially anglers need to force the debate and take it from there I suppose. What is really needed of course are facts and figures, preferably provided by scientific research as I don't expect the government to be unduly persuaded by a body of p****d off anglers

Will this petition achieve a cull of otters ? no chance . Will this petition portray anglers as callous , selfish , brutish individuals ? you bet ! It's just ammunition for the anti blood sport / conservation lobby and will do our pastimes image huge damage

Last edited:
Will this petition achieve a cull of otters ? no chance . Will this petition portray anglers as callous , selfish , brutish individuals ? you bet ! It's just ammunition for the anti blood sport / conservation lobby and will do our pastimes image huge damage

Couldn't agree more, the last bit could have been written by someone from PETA !

Last edited:
what a baddly written piece. Not something I want to be associated with. It is the uncontroled release of Otters that is the problem.

It's not the unauthorised release of otters that causes a problem. Natural England or whatever they call themselves this week organised a release of otters on a prime Nth Yorkshire trout stream. They claimed that the otters would only eat eels. Not only is that preposterous, but eels are an endangered species in their own right. Figure that out.

Back