Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2012, 16:45

Default Drivewear Polarised glasses

My old (prescription) polarised glasses have now got more scratches than actual viewing surface, so replacements are needed. I have seen the Drivewear ones at Optilabs which change colour in response to light levels, sounds like a great idea. However I am always distrustful of miracle claims (particularly when it involves me spending extra cash), so any one here use them? Are they worth the extra cash. Do they really give better viability in lower light conditions in a way that would benefit an angler, i.e. watching a float or a fly?
Old 25-05-2012, 18:01

I've had prescription Drivewear lenses (not from Optilabs) for about a month and they are fantastic. I like using polarized glasses when fishing but got fed up with the limitations of a single tint being too dark or too light in so many situations. The Drivewear lenses have put a stop to that palaver. I really don't understand why these lenses haven't been aggressively marketed to anglers. I find them even more useful for fishing than I do for driving.
For those that would prefer not to have to deal at distance with Optilabs, Specsavers are also doing the Drivewear lenses. You may have to give the sales person a nudge in the right direction as more than the odd one or two are barely aware of them.
Old 26-05-2012, 10:26

Chris how does the price compair to the Optilab ones.
Old 26-05-2012, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Scaysbrook View Post
Chris how does the price compair to the Optilab ones.
Stephen, it's a little hard to tell exactly as the Optilabs listings all include at least a basic frame. The cheapest Optilabs set up, comparable to what I got, looks to be about the £240 mark.

I bought frames on the net from Pretavoir, and had Specsavers put the lenses in. IIRC the frames cost around £85 (about half the price I'd have paid on the high street) the single vision drivewear lenses £109 and they rob you up to £40 for re-lensing (i.e. we didn't sell you the frames so we'll extract some extra cash from you another way!).

So, I reckon to have paid around the same price, smidge less perhaps, as the basic Optilabs. However, I have the frames of my choice rather than the rather limited Optilabs choice and I can walk into a high street shop if I have any problems with the lenses. I'm content that I did ok on the whole deal. If Specsavers didn't apply the re-lensing charge (and they sometimes haven't in the past), I'd have been quids in.
Old 26-05-2012, 18:07

Thanks for the info Chris
I might pop in to my local Specsavers and ask for a couple of quotes. Ie with and with out frame. Feed them a bit of bull and see what they come up with. I wouldn't mind just having a normal frame and not the sports type frame any way then I could use them as normal sun glasses so it might work out cheaper if I have one of there frams.
I'll keep you posted
Thanks again.
Old 26-05-2012, 18:22

As far as I can see there are hundreds of different lenses on Optilabs, you can have the drivewear lenses in any of their frames, not just the ones they recommend for fishing. I certainly won't be going for an obvious "sports" frame as on a man of more mature years they look as stupid as a baseball cap. I like the look of the Jaguar frames as jags are resolutely unfashionable cars (with the exception of E Types), so I hope the frames will be as well If only the did "Old Holburn" frames, I'd be well in.

I would guess all the different companies use exactly the same frames )from a factory in China), lenses and everything else...just put different labels on them. Must admit that Optilabs seem a little more expensive than some other on line sites, but the other sites don't list Drivewear lenses.
Last time I was in an opticians to have my eyes checked (a Boots) they tried to convince me of all the "benefits" of buying from them. High pressure selling by sales people on commission I can live without. The joy of doing it on line is that I won't have to deal with these people

Thanks for the info Chris. I expected more people to have given these a go...perhaps we are "new adopters"

Last edited by Pete Marshall; 26-05-2012 at 18:29.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on Facebook
Old 26-05-2012, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Marshall View Post
I would guess all the different companies use exactly the same frames )from a factory in China), lenses and everything else...just put different labels on them.
That may well be true for the budget frames. However, you'll find that an awful lot of the "designer" brand (even if the brand isn't Italian) frames are made in Italy. That was certainly true for my old pair of Armani frames and both sets of Rayban carbon fibre frames I am currently using.

I did find this an interesting read when I was researching the Drivewear lenses. A bunch of bored opticians arguing like we might on here!

Looks like FramesDirect are also doing Drivewear now

Last edited by Chris Jones; 26-05-2012 at 18:48.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on Facebook
Old 27-05-2012, 12:34

Other than prescription polarized what's Are the ESP ones like? Any info would be appreciated thanks.
Old 27-05-2012, 14:39

I have the Optilabs Ultra 2000 lenses which are vari-tint which are a very good compromise, can anyone tell me what the difference is between them and the drivewear ones ?
Old 27-05-2012, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lush View Post
I have the Optilabs Ultra 2000 lenses which are vari-tint which are a very good compromise, can anyone tell me what the difference is between them and the drivewear ones ?
Looks like Ultra 2000 is just Optilabs name for Drivewear.

Ultra 2000 (Drivewear)

Drivewear

Why they feel the need to have two different listings on the same website, for what looks to be the same thing, is beyond me.