• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Matt Hayes Youtube interview

Wouldn't mind a session or two on his bit of the Gaula:)

Talks a lot of sense in this interview.

What a good interview that is, he comes across very very well and his outlook is spot on,
Man United shirt apart he's got the thing well sorted out.:)

Is is kind of ironic that he talks about getting away from the numbers game, yet it was the numbers game that got him where he is!
Still a good interview though and he does talk a lot of sense

Agreed. Also about travelling light and the motives for fishing.

Ironic how he concludes with how he'd like to catch a 40lb pike, 5lb perch, 8lb chub etc. ;)

Thanks for posting :)

In the grand scheme of things, pretty unrealistic goals. (He must speak for most speci anglers........ we all dream of...)

Chris

The difference between Matt and us 'mere mortals' when talking about 'unrealistic goals' is that his job is fishing and he probably gets a free pass to most specimen waters so he's got a head start on most of us :(

Thanks Steve, very interesting. :) What i like about Matt, is, he still seems like one of the lads, who struck it lucky, and he,s grateful to be where he is. No hairs or graces. Just Thankful.

Last edited:
Agree with most of the previous comments, Matt seems a well grounded, down to earth type of guy. I have chatted with him in the past, and he comes across exactly the same in person, so I don't think it is an act.

Mind you, I also smiled in agreement with Stephen when he remarked on the irony of Matts stated ambitions. The first three quarters of the program was spent explaining the futility of the numbers game, how the size of a fish is irrelevant, that basing success on such things was pure vanity....then went on to say that his only remaining ambitions were to catch a 40lb pike, a 10lb tench...and so on. Very amusing.

However, for me that just adds strength to my initial feelings that the guy is a decent, ordinary human being who just happens to have extraordinary talent. All in all, a nice interview with a likeable man.

Cheers, Dave.

I suppose the answer could have been to just enjoy one's fishing!

Personally, I'd like to catch a few big ones but I agree with Matt's sentiments from earlier, playing the numbers game can all be a bit pointless. Who care's if one's "PB barbel" is 10 lb or 15 lb? I'd be happy to catch either!

The statements regarding teaching monkeys to fish pretty much summed it up.

Anyhow, I too have enjoyed watching Matt and Mick doing their thing.

Here's some proper old skool Matt Hayes action for your viewing pleasure!

Bob Roberts & Matt Hayes Angling Videozine Vol.1 - YouTube

Bob Roberts & Matt Hayes Angling Videozine Vol.2 - YouTube

Back