• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Historic legal victory to stop hydro on the Trent at Sawley

Will Smith

Fish Legal has won one of the biggest cases in its 64 year history by securing an injunction to stop a hydropower development on the River Trent at Sawley Weir. This case will send a clear signal to hydropower developers that they cannot plan or build hydropower turbines without getting permission from anglers first. Read the full story at the link below:

Newsflash: Historic Legal Victory - The Angling Trust

Super news, well done the AT/Fish Legal - can't believe no one has commented on this neither.... all too interested in bickering no doubt

Very good news indeed. Not only the result but hopefully the power to persuade a few more recalcitrant folk to hand over their £25 to the AT.

Super news, well done the AT/Fish Legal - can't believe no one has commented on this neither.... all too interested in bickering no doubt

That is a little unfair, I'm sure that most people have no idea what the impact of a hydropower scheme will have on their fishing.
As one who reads the weekly angling press I consider myself to be as well informed as the average angler and I certainly don't.

Well done the A/T...Yes agree with you Steve.....

That is a little unfair, I'm sure that most people have no idea what the impact of a hydropower scheme will have on their fishing.
As one who reads the weekly angling press I consider myself to be as well informed as the average angler and I certainly don't.

Really?? Maybe you should research the topic Adrian?

Energy can not be destroyed, only changed in form.....

Hi Ade,

Yes, loads of people don't know about how damaging hydro can be - you certainly aren't alone! There is a good PDF here on the Angling Trust website:
http://www.anglingtrust.net/core/co...Position+Statement+on+Run+of+River+Hydropower

and at:

Fight the Hydropower! - The Angling Trust

You can listen to an excellent podcast from the Spectator on an article they published on the subject here:
http://cdn2.spectator.co.uk/files/2012/08/theviewfrom22-300812.mp3

and this is a superb little film which every river angler really should watch made by the European Angler's Alliance (of which the Angling Trust are members):
The End of The River - YouTube

for example, look at 11min 39secs for the damage to fish.

If you only have time to look at some of this info I recommend the YouTube film first. After that you'll probably want to read the other stuff anyway.

The Angling Trust recently interviewed the new Environment Secretary Owen Paterson during which he commented on anglers' concerns over hydropower and even he said:
"Of course there's a role for hydropower in the energy supply mix but we must work with the grain of nature and not against it and I'm not at all happy about schemes that reduce river flows to environmentally damaging levels and contain 'fish mincing turbines".
(Read more of that interview HERE)

Its on my website martinjamesfishing.co.uk, next week I will be interviewing Martin Salter who is doing an excellent job for the members of Angling Trust. Sadly as with the ACA the membership figures are a disgrace. Lets not forget the Angling Trust is the only voice angling has. What is most important is getting the backing of MP's. Again Martin knowing his way around the House of Commons is able to get our concerns considered by those in power. During my interview with Martin we will discuss cormorants, hydro power, canoeing, bass size limits etc etc

Tremendous news that could potentially make an enormous difference to the many proposed hydro power installations across our waterways. This is the most significant development to date and hopefully an indication to all that the Angling Trust is the only body within angling that has the power, voice, political and financial clout (whatever you want to call it)to actually make a difference. Well done AT.

Back