• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

tributary river barbel

Neil Partridge

some of us on here live near (or close enough) to big barbel holding river tributaries that hold good heads of barbel, (the teme, dove etc)( but not all,
i live near the river tern in shropshire, that flows into the severn just below atcham, but it has never become a prevalent small barbel river even though some of it (you would say) screams the fish.
can anyone shed light on this (especially the tern) as i would love to give it a go for them.

also the blythe in warks. around coleshill had shed loads in it where are they now. i know this river flows into one of the most polluted rivers in the country...the river tame( then into the trent), could they have 'all' just swam away. :confused:

Last edited:
Worth a good reccy Neil, when the rivers drop and spring has sprung!! I would imagine all will be revealed then (or quite a lot anyhow). :)

The Dove and Teme are pretty big tributaries in comparison to the Tern, not sure if this has any bearing on it?
Again this is speculation, but as this relatively small river runs mostly through farm land, could it be that farm run off doesn't dilute as much as in the bigger rivers and the barbel don't like it? I've heard of them caught around the confluence but not much further up.
I've got access to a short bit which only has about 2 fishable spots, caught some nice chub, but I wouldn't mind a bash for barbel on this river if I only had more of it. Don't really know who owns the fishing rights on most of it.

ive heard this place is free now, the x st.georges ac piece :eek:

River_Tern_-_geographorguk_-_328501.jpg

I've had barbel from the Tern but only round the confluence when the main river is in flood. The same area also holds some big pike which harass the shoals of silvers who take refuge from the floods.
I saw my first river Severn otter there as well, it was one of those short warm summer nights and I had been fishing all night in shirt sleeves without a knock, as the sun rose an otter surfaced in my swim with a small chub in its mouth and climbed out onto a fallen willow ten yards downstream which I had been fishing under.....It was 1991 or 92 and I was so pleased to see it I did a sketch in my diary.

Barbel have deffo been caught above the mill pool at walcot. I know of one which was foul hooked on a lure a couple of years back up at waters upton. There are a few up the Roden which have been up there for years.

River Roden at Rodington barbel, 4lb - 1978

http://s27.postimg.org/9dt0zvmlf/Roden_Barbel.jpg

My brother - then 18 or 19!! :D

This stretch of the Roden - and also stretches nearby of the Tern (Alscott, by the sugar factory?) and a stretch of the Meese, Newport were at the time controlled by Whitmore Reans CAA who folded in 1987, I believe.

I've enquired on MaggotDrowners and at Jayne's Tackle in Wellington about info on fishing these rivers and who controls any angling on those rivers in the area ... Nantwich AS did have a stretch of the Tern at Waters Upton about 2 years ago but no longer do it seems... anyone know on here?

Back