• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Muckboot tread pattern

Les Jones

After a wet foot Saturday night when my current winter boots sprang a leak in a rising river I have been researching replacements.

Muckboot Tay/Tay Sports seem the most recommended winter boot but I have a concern over the odd comment I found regarding the sole tread pattern being lethal when used on concrete/tarmac/wood surfaces. My other option is the Esk model, recommended by a friend, this has a more traditional tread pattern but comments suggest this is not so good on mud.

I walk a fair way on a mixture of surface, has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations on which may be best?

Les,

It may be that on hard surfaces different people will feel more comfortable with diffrerent products, but my own experience with Tay Sports is that they are the best compromise and they are infinitely better than the Skeetex type products. If it helps I got mine from the people below who offered good price and delivery

Workwear Clothing Supplier | Protective Safety Clothes

I've been looking for the Holy Grail in terms of tread pattern and have come to the conclusion that it does not exist. The only thing that will grip in mud are studs and these only work if cleared regularly for the studs to be effective. Rubber soles, Vibram etc are ok for solid paths. Felt soles for greasy stones when wading. There is no jack of all trades. I think that it is a case of choosing the most appropriate tread for the day. In my experience the best compromise is studs.

I have had the odd mis-hap while walking across a wet railway sleeper bridge on my local fishery, now that i tread carefully and i dont have a problem.

I have had many pairs off boots over the seasons and i am yet too find the "definitive" pair of all rounder boots, it is a bit off a trade off.

I do love my Muck boots though.

Thanks for the opinions guys (and for the link Richard) most helpful. Less to worry about that I thought, Tay's it is then.

This is an interesting point about grip on different surfaces. I personally wear a high performance boot by the German company Lowa. Even these are a little less than satisfactory on some surfaces. Surely it would not be beyond the ingenuity of man to make a boot with various detachable soles suitable for different surfaces.

Korkers do a boot with interchangeable soles to suit all types of terrain, slip out one sole and replace with another one. Have used them for several years.

The tays are designed for snow lads. I had a pair and they nevwr suited muddy banks. Not very nice slipping towards the river.

I'll now let you into a little secret, after all 'tis the season of goodwill. Carry an ice axe, a few petongs and a short section of rope. Many times this has got me out of trouble on sliding down a bank. I've demonstrated the use of the ice-axe to a number of passers-by on the bank of my local river. Everyone thinks that it's a great idea but hardly seem to see a soul these days.

I'll now let you into a little secret, after all 'tis the season of goodwill. Carry an ice axe, a few petongs and a short section of rope. Many times this has got me out of trouble on sliding down a bank. I've demonstrated the use of the ice-axe to a number of passers-by on the bank of my local river. Everyone thinks that it's a great idea but hardly seem to see a soul these days.

That seems a shame Jim, after all your kind efforts....there's just no way of understanding human nature is there? One thought did cross my mind though....did you have your pitons on show while you were demonstrating the ice axe? That could explain things possibly?

Cheers, Dave.

Back